What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete many e-mails possible?

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on iOS 8.1.3 and I've seen a few messages about deleting multiple e-mails. Basically selecting one, holding down MOVE, and then un-selecting the one selected and releasing the hold on MOVE. It doesn't work for me? Once I release the MOVE I see the folders I can move 'it' too. Some suggested marking everything READ but that doesn't seem to help either?

I'm on an iPad3, anyone get this to work?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you see the folders where you can move them to, select Trash to delete them from the Inbox.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you see the folders where you can move them to, select Trash to delete them from the Inbox.

Yes, I did that, BUT only the message previously selected and then unselected was sent to trash. All the others were NOT.

Supposedly this 'action' should take some time, but it was instantaneous for me, changing to the select folder view. Supposedly I was to see all the emails stacked behind each other and when all were put there only then the selection folder was to appear. Sometimes Mail would CLOSE and re-OPEN after the move as well.

Wondering if this 'feature' actually works in iOS 8.1.3?

Hmm, just tried it again as I had 9 emails in all folders and it appeared to work, I could see them stacked behind each other. Then selected TRASH it showed the e-mail preview showed one I never selected and the left side showed no emails?

Closed Mail and re-opened, nothing was moved?

I was using ALL INBOXES to do this. So I then tried the 3 individual accounts I had. That seemed to work?

When I had the problem I was gone for 10 days without Inet access and got over 500 emails in those 3 accounts combined.

So I'll assume for now that:
  1. This procedure doesn't work for ALL INBOXES.
  2. There is a 'limit' on the number of emails this process will work on.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This procedure still works in iOS 8.1.3.
You can't use it for "All Inboxes", you have to do it for every account separately. That's correct.
If there are too many emails in the Inbox, the Mail app could crash, and it won't work.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This procedure still works in iOS 8.1.3.
You can't use it for "All Inboxes", you have to do it for every account separately. That's correct.
If there are too many emails in the Inbox, the Mail app could crash, and it won't work.

OK, thanks, was not aware it worked like that. Don't know the max. number but it did crash. Is there a way to just delete a specific number, not all emails?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can mark the ones you intend to get rid of, and then delete them:
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know a workaround that would allow this. It's either all at once, or one by one, if "all at once" doesn't work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your account is an IMAP account (like Google, Yahoo, iCloud, ect.), most have websites you can access your email from. Many will work from Safari on the iPad, or have their own apps. Delete all is often an option there, and it will sync back to the iPad.

You'll still want to use Mail most of the time (probably), but you can visit those options on the occasions you need to do mass deletes.

Most reactions

Latest posts