What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deauthorize / Wipe clean?

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my 3g is supposed to arrive via FedEx today. That means it is time to part with my Wifi unit I have had since launch... I know, its a little sad, as it has served me well...

What exactly do I need to do to prep the old unit for sale? I figure restore it to factory default, but do I also need to deauthorize it in some fashion?

Any help/links are appreciated.

Thanks.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just restore it to the factory default, it will wipe your iTunes set up clean. The only real deauthorizing that I have seen people have to do is deauthorizing a computer that accesses the iTunes account. Since you are only getting rid of the iPad and not a computer, I don't think you need to deauthorize anything.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
only thing you need to do is go to the ipads settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings.

that will securely wipe all data and give you the screen saying that the ipad must be activated with itunes, just like when you took it out of the box.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new 3G iPad is also coming it, so time to erase the April 3rd WiFi original. I'm not convinced that "Erase All Contents and Settings" is a secure erase. If you look at Apple's tech note on iPods, iPhones and iPads, the iPhone original and 3G and some iPods touches get a zero out overwrite to erase that data, but not the iPad or iPhone 3Gs. These remove the Hardware encryption key.

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Understanding 'Erase All Content and Settings'

I'd still feel more comfortable with an Overwrite first, then the removal of the hardware encryption key. Does anyone know how to overwrite the memory? I don't really want to alter everything on iTunes, since I'm going to setup the iPad 3G the same way as my original WiFi version.

Most reactions