What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data transfer using physical USB drives with Camera connection kit

ronnie88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, am newbie here. Just got my iPAD2 and have start using it as a basic tool on my business trips. I have loaded up Office2HD but when my client share his Infor or files with his USB drive, I am unable to retrieve using Apple Camera Conversion Kit. Can anyone here help to enlighten me if there is anyway to retrieve or transfer data and files from any USB drive via camera connection kit into iPAD2 (without JB)?
Thanks.

Backyardtarpon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using a USB drive is hit or miss. I have 15+ different drives, and out of all of them, one can be used with my iPad 2. The first thing need to do is connect the drive to your pc/Mac, and create a folder on the drive named DCMI. Once that is done, connect the drive to the iPad via camera connection kit. At that point you'll be able to tell if the drive will work. BTW, my iPad 2 is not jail broken.

Rineybree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What she said

As I understand it , you will either need to jailbreak or follow the procedure described above (renaming the files to make them appear as if they are picture files).

JezJezJez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the camera connection kit frustrating at fist as was trying to load a video but it wouldn't recognise it. However as others have said this is easily resolved by renaming the file to the same format as a photo ( from memory something like ABC12345). The only downside is you have to remember which file is which movie

Most reactions

Latest posts