What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Bluetooth keyboard and mouse....

Vampyrka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there,

I hope this is the right board for this, if not my apologies. I’ve been debating for a while on getting a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my iPad (6th gen), but since I had a desktop PC at the time I didn’t bother. About 2 months ago my desktop PC officially “kicked the bucket” so I have been using my iPad a lot more. Problem is I’m clueless on Bluetooth or how to make it work. I have never used any equipment of any type that used Bluetooth so I’m completely clueless.

Do I need any special software, or equipment of any type to get Bluetooth to work or if (want to make sure I have a understanding of how it works before purchasing anything) or do I just need the items (in this case being my iPad,a Bluetooth compatible keyboard and mouse) and I’m good to go?

Thanks so much for any help!

~*Vampyrka*~

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pretty much any Bluetooth keyboard will work with the iPad. There are also several designed specifically for iPads. There are several threads on this site discussing the various keyboard and case-keyboard options for the iPad. A search here and on other sites should provide a lot of ideas.

For keyboards not specifically designed to work with the iPad, I used to use Apple’s desktop keyboard and liked it. I’ve also used several portable Logitec keyboards. I didn’t like their feel and layout quite as much, but they worked fine.

With the release of iPadOS 13.1 (coming up Sep 24th) it is possible to use a Bluetooth mouse. Again, most will work fine. However; mouse support on iPads is an accessibility feature. That means that the mouse cursor emulate using a finger. Instead of the cursor acting like a highly accurate pointer and selection tool as it does on desktop OS’s, it’s just a substitute finger for tapping, draggling, etc. on the iPad.

Not all iPads will get iPadOS 13.1. Check your model and compatibility.

Unless you have difficulties using the iPad’s normal touch UI, there is little reason to use the mouse accessibility feature.

If you search YouTube for iOS 13.1 mouse support, you should be able to find videos showing you how it works.

If you want a precision input device on the iPad, the only (practical) way is to get a newer iPad and an Apple Pencil, Logitec Crayon, or Adonit Note. The Crayon offers most of the Pencil’s capabilities, minus pressure and tilt sensors. I have not used the Adonit Note, but it is similar to the Crayon in capability with a more professional look.

Besides these three, most styluses are just substitute fingers, and offer little increase of accuracy, and no extra features. The few in between styluses that use active tips tend to be disappointing, and in my opinion not worth their small cost saving over the Logitec Crayon or Adonit Note.

If you need (and want) a newer iPad, it’s probably a good idea to wait a month or two. There should be newer models announced soon. Even if you don’t want the newest, there will probably be a modest price drop in last years models (all of which have Pencil support).

Last edited:
OP
Vampyrka

Vampyrka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't bother checking if my keyboard I have is Bluetooth compatible (it's messed up anyway, have to beat it to death to get half the keys to work), mouse I have however is fine. I've been looking to see if it has Bluetooth compatibility but not having any luck, I'm pretty sure it doesn't ((it's a Logitech M510).

I'll check out those threads on here.

I was watching a few YouTube videos last night and noticed that about the mouse support (which I'm fine with). I'm bad to constantly tap stuff I don't mean to (main reason I'm looking to get a mouse and keyboard for my iPad). I have a few stylus laying around from old tablets (not really made for apple iPad, it was for my old Kindle Fire and Samsung tablets before switching over to apple products). They work to a point but not all that good (I'm pretty sure cause they were not made for the iPad but I'm not the most tech savvy person).

I'm pretty sure mine is compatible (just got it mid last year, newest model they have right now --- to my knowledge). I double checked however to be sure and it is compatible and will be getting the update on the 24th.

I didn't even think of checking YouTube for videos on how it works (I was using YouTube to look up what features that they were going to add and see if it was worth upgrading or keeping my current iOS for as long as I can, I'm going to be upgrading.) I'll check that out!

Even though I have the newest current model however (again to my knowledge) -- I'm looking in the future to get a second iPad (I go through tablets like crazy for some reason) so I always get a second one when I can as a backup in case one fails (cause I don't have any place nearby to take my iPad to get it repaired which sucks). I was considering the newest model for Pro (or Air) but right now I can't afford those, when I have the ability I'll do more research however that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Thank you twerppoet for the help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Good luck.

I took the easy (but kind of expensive) way out. I bought the 12.9” Pro, Smart keyboard cover, and Pencil. Great as it is for portable use, it’s not so great to work with in hand, so I talked myself into an iPad Mini 5 with Logitech Crayon. Obviously I’m’ not the best person to talk to about budget solutions. :)

Then again, the iPad and iOS in general has been my primary platform for a few years, so I think it’s worth pinching pennies elsewhere.

OP
Vampyrka

Vampyrka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking of looking at cases with the keyboard included, honestly I may go that route and get a good (but not to pricy) mouse to go with it.

I had been using either Kindle Fires or Samsung tablets until last year. I was never very happy with them so I thought I asked family members (who had apple products) how they liked them, all said they loved them so I thought I would try apple products. I’m actually liking apple products much better (especially the iPads).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Please let us know what you eventually get, and how it works out for you. I look forward to hearing your opinion on using a mouse with iPad if you do so.

More opinionating to follow:

Unlike phones, Google and Android manufactures haven’t done as well as they could have with tablets, and it looks like Google is giving up in favor of Chromebooks with Android app compatibility. Lots of people seem to like those, while still admitting that the Android side needs more polish. At least that’s my take away from reviews (mostly from Android sites).

I have and older Nexus, Galaxy Tab, and Kindle Fire. They work(ed) well enough for the tasks I got them for, but I would never choose them as my primary computer. Not even if iPads did not exist. I’d go back to a laptop first. That said, I don’t have a recent Android tablet, so my opinion is dated. I’ll happily re-evaluate if anyone wants to hand me a new top of the line Android tablet to play with. :)

OP
Vampyrka

Vampyrka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will :)

Right now mostly looking for the mouse (got a case with keyboard already picked out, gotta wait till tomorrow to order them).

Anyone know if this mouse could possibly work? I looked up "iPad 6th Generation mouse compatibility" and found it so i'm assuming just wondering if anyone ever tried this type of mouse before (or if they're any good)... I never heard of "Jelly Comb" mouse brand before...

https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Comb-W...ments=p_72:2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-14

I've tried their phones before (had to borrow a family members just to make calls and they let me mess around with it to see if I liked it). They're phones (Google/Android) are pretty nice but honestly I'm more of a fan of the iPhones (well the one's I've used, but they're sort of out of date now, dunno how they're neweser phones are). Anyway back on the Android topic, I've tried several kinds (mostly Samsung Galaxy Tabs), they would work ok for maybe a month or two (then constant issues or they just die). I got fed up with that lol.

That's how they would do with me (they worked well enough but I would never use them as my primary computer either). I have a older model Toshiba laptop (parent gave me when she got her a new laptop in case I needed a backup, cause at the time my desktop PC was acting up). Well don't really use it to often (long story). Honestly I use my iPad more as a primary computer over it lol. Anyway (sorry bad to get off topic haha).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve got things figured out. Can’t help you with the mouse selection. I did hear/read that the extra buttons on the mouse can be configured to do a variety of actions/functions. I’ll be interested to hear what your experience is.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem you will have is connecting that mouse to your iPad. I’m assuming your iPad has a lightning port, so you will have no way to connect the usb wireless adaptor to the iPad. You could use Apples lightning to camera adaptor, but that is both awkward and expensive.
Your best bet is to look for a Bluetooth mouse that will connect to your iPad without a wireless adaptor. There are several available on Amazon for a reasonable cost.
I use a cheap Bluetooth mouse with my old iPad Air2 and it works fine.

OP
Vampyrka

Vampyrka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks @Aerofly I'll keep looking on amazon.

@PrismStudios - I'm always doing the "hunt and peck" method on the keyboard on my iPad (half the time constant hitting keys I don't mean to lol. I figured the keyboard would help me (I dunno though).

Most reactions

Latest posts