What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier AT&T 10.0??

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is without SIM, it says carrier is AT&T 10.0 in settings. Does that mean it has a subsidy lock??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What other carriers do you have in your country - you don't say where you're from? The iPad needs to be initialised with an AT&T SIM - perhaps a pay-as-you-go one - and then it can be used with another carrier's SIM

Tim
Scotland

OP
gray_mouse

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In russia. There is no AT&T here. What will happen if I stick a sim from a different carrier?

Reaction score
I'm in Scotland and looking to buy an iPad 2 morrow in USA will the 3 g work if I put my uk sim into it?

Clueless!!!! Lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In russia. There is no AT&T here. What will happen if I stick a sim from a different carrier?

Did you purchase the iPad in the US? If you did, you really should have initialised it first there with an AT&T SIM card - you could have bought a cheap pay-as-you-go card and just gone through the initialisation procedure. Then, when you got back home, you'd have been able to insert a local SIM. I don't think - going by other members' experiences - that you'll be able to initialise the 3G service in your country by putting in a local SIM because the software in the iPad wants to connect to AT&T first of all. Once you've initialised it on AT&T, then it will accept another SIM. If you did purchase it in the US, do you plan to return there sometime soon? That really might be the only solution.

If you bought it locally - I'm at a loss for a solution. I'm sure that Apple wouldn't have sold one of these in your country so I can only suggest you contact the person or retail outlet that sold it to you.

It's a difficult problem and we've had several people posting messages on the Forum who have purchased iPads in the US and have not initialised them there and then have found it impossible to get them to work back in their own country. The only solution we've found so far is basically that they have to be initialised in the US on an AT&T network

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Thanks Tim iv not purchased it yet but wud like the 3 g version as iv got the other iPad at the moment, so il see if I can get a pay as u go sim in the states? I'm only ther a day so il need to get a move on!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim iv not purchased it yet but wud like the 3 g version as iv got the other iPad at the moment, so il see if I can get a pay as u go sim in the states? I'm only ther a day so il need to get a move on!

Yes - get a PAYG card while you're there and either set it up yourself or get the store to help. Make sure you get the AT&T version and keep all the invoices handy; you'll need them at Customs in the UK and in case you need to have the iPad serviced at your local Apple Store in the UK.

As I'm sure you're aware, the iPad power adaptor/charger is universal; it will work in any country - but you'll need to get a UK adaptor. It's a standard, so-called IEC socket on the charger so getting a plug and cable to connect to it will be simple - Maplin is good for these. To get the special Apple adaptor that allows the charger to be connected directly to a wall socket without a cable - convenient when travelling - you'll probably need to go to the Apple Store and purchase one there. They sell 'International Travel Kits' that contain plugs that will fit any electrical outlet in the world.

I hope you enjoy your trip

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts