What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car charging issue.

Opus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought two car charging leads for the iPad from eBay,(illuminated Apple logo on top so presume these are genuine articles).

Initially both charged the iPad but subsiquently refused to do so, even though the Apple logo is lit, so obviously power is being supplied. The battery/charging indiator in the iPad momentarily shows 'charging' but then reverts to battery.

Any helpful comments or suggestion will be appreciated please.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check if the charger is connected properly or there isn't a broken pin inside the iPad. You could also try a new cable since that might help, too.

OP
O

Opus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks, HardMetalAlchemy, for your helpful reply.

I believe the charger is correctly connected- it's a car charger so either it is on or it is not and the Apple logo on the top of the cigarette lighter part is lit.

As to a broken pin in the iPad, that would surprise me because it charges perfectly well on a mains charger; unless, of course, different pins are used for the car charging. Please comment.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Opus,

I'm moving this tread to iPad help where it should receive more attention.

I had a problem with the car charger for the TomTom cradle for my iPod. The plug unit disintegrated, leaving a small piece of metal in the lighter socket. The socket fuse blew. The replacement cable and plug are OK.

It's an aside, but your thread reminded me.

Cheers

Richard

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have bought two car charging leads for the iPad from eBay,(illuminated Apple logo on top so presume these are genuine articles).

Initially both charged the iPad but subsiquently refused to do so, even though the Apple logo is lit, so obviously power is being supplied. The battery/charging indiator in the iPad momentarily shows 'charging' but then reverts to battery......

Hi Opus - you've already received some comments on your car chargers - let me first state that the statement bolded above may not be a correct assumption, i.e. there are plenty of Apple rip-offs, especially produced in the Far East (think of all of the pseudo-Apple stores there) - so, the authenticity & quality of the chargers you bought from eBay is open to question - I don't trust these car chargers personally - my wife had one for the Nook, the charger after few uses became quite hot & blew a fuse in my car - my wife wanted a car option for her iPad Mini & phone, so I decided on the 'battery pack' below - a great review HERE - can be used in the car, in the hotel, or elsewhere - NOT wanting any more blown car fuses - :thumbsdown: :D Dave

LUMSING_0100.jpg

OP
O

Opus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks, Dave. That is very helpful. I did wonder about apparently 'branded' items on eBay but haven't had the time to really go into this. Both the iPad and iPhone are purely functional tools for me and not (at least at the moment) items of which I am a cultural follower, as it were. My iPad is a Mk 1, and the Lumsing does not seem to be suitable for this item. Do you know where on-line one can buy a proper Apple charger please? Nigel

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks, Dave. That is very helpful. I did wonder about apparently 'branded' items on eBay but haven't had the time to really go into this. Both the iPad and iPhone are purely functional tools for me and not (at least at the moment) items of which I am a cultural follower, as it were. My iPad is a Mk 1, and the Lumsing does not seem to be suitable for this item. Do you know where on-line one can buy a proper Apple charger please? Nigel

Hi Nigel - I'm assuming that by Mk 1 you mean the first iPad - should charge like my iPad 2, i.e. 30-pin docking adapter for the device and a standard USB connector @ the other end of the cable - correct? If so, the Lumsing battery pack will certainly work, i.e. provides the 10W (5V x 2 amps) in one of its many power ports.

By a proper Apple charger, are you referring to a car charger or just an AC one? I usually have purchased my power accessories via the Apple store online or directly (HERE) - in this link, the store offers two car chargers neither made by Apple (which calls into suspicion the one you now own - just saying?), and of course, 10W chargers which you would want for you iPad. Hope this helps - Dave :)

OP
O

Opus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very many thanks, Dave.I was beginning to see the light (sic!). Obviously a proper Apple item is the the one to go for in this case, although I have bought eBay chargers and accessories before (not necessarily for iPad) and they have worked fine. The Mains charger for iPad 1 is fine (so far!), so are a couple of docking charging stations for iPhone 5 and they are also fine. It's just the car one for the iPad which is the issue. Maybe you put your finger on it by mentioning that one should have a 10w capacity. Possibly the ones I already have do not. Thanks again. Nigel

Most reactions

Latest posts