What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captioning Photos

Sfussner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there any way to put captions on photos, in the photo library, on an iPad? If there is I would really appreciate knowing how, I think I've tried everything!

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First. No, the Photos app can not do captioning.

And then, yes, sort of. If you have iOS 8, the new extension feature lets you use features from other apps inside the Photos app for editing. Because you are editing the photo you're not getting a true text caption below the photo, but actually editing the photo with a text tool.

Here is a general overview of how to use them.

First, you have to download the app, and you may need to open it at least once, so it registers it's extensions with iOS. To use the extension in Photos, you open a photo and choose to edit it. Alongside the other editing controls there is a circle with three dots in it. Tap that circle and you'll se your compatible, enabled extensions. If you don't see the extension you want, tap the More icon, with three dots (see the pattern?). You'll get a list of all your compatible extensions and a switch to turn them on/off.

To use the extension, simply tap the icon. It will be the same icon and app name as the app that provided the extension.

ExtensionsInPhotos.png

The only app/extension I have that I have, that does text, is Camera Plus. I have a couple more extensions on the iPhone, but they are for filters viewing metadata.

Look in the App Store for the "Great Apps for iOS 8" promotion. It's one of those small rectangles between the rows of icons. There's a selection of apps that have photo editing and filter extensions.

Another, quicky solution is Skitch. If you only need to add some text or other quick markups to a picture, Skitch is ideal. It's how I added the text to screenshot you see above. Most screeshots you see on this form, with arrows, text, and blurred areas, are created using Skitch.

OP
S

Sfussner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh, well on the one hand it's nice to know I didn't miss anything, on the other hand, darn!

I appreciate the quick reply, and the info, I will do that. Need to label the pictures with names, while I still remember them! :cool:

Thank you, again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

There are probably a bunch of third party apps you could use as well. And you don't have to use the extension feature, especially if you want to do a lot of them, and don't mind having duplicate copies in the app you use.

Most reactions

Latest posts