What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't switch between numbers & letters

titleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quite often I unable to switch from letters to numbers on the keyboard. Sometimes I'm able to tap the keys on either side (i.e. happy face, paper clip, microphone etc) and then I'm able to switch. Other times I have to go out and shut it down and restart.

This is an Air 2

Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Quite often I unable to switch from letters to numbers on the keyboard. Sometimes I'm able to tap the keys on either side (i.e. happy face, paper clip, microphone etc) and then I'm able to switch. Other times I have to go out and shut it down and restart............

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Have you tried to 'Reset' your iPad? If not, then press the ON-OFF and HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so) - release both and wait for the device to reboot (like turning a computer off and on again) - NONE of your apps, files, settings, etc. will be affected. Let us know - Dave

OP
T

titleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far it's working like a charm with no issues. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
T

titleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Started doing same thing again yesterday and today.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Started doing same thing again yesterday and today.

Sorry about the recurrence - hoping that the Reset would fix the issue - first, let us know if there are specific apps that this is a problem; second, has there been any physical damage (e.g. a drop) and/or a liquid spill issue w/ the device? Please be honest - cannot make a suggestion(s) w/o the correct information. Dave :)

OP
T

titleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This ipad belongs to my wife and she uses messenger, facebook, messages and email that require the keyboard.

Email seems to be the only app she has trouble with.

There has been no damage to the ipad at all.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This ipad belongs to my wife and she uses messenger, facebook, messages and email that require the keyboard.

Email seems to be the only app she has trouble with.

There has been no damage to the ipad at all.

Hi again - thanks for the additional information and glad that no damage has occurred. Has the iOS on the device been updated to the most current version (10.2 on my iPad Air 2) - if not, might want to give that a try to see if the situation is corrected?

Also, take a look in Settings (General and Accessibility categories have some 'keyboard' options - see if the choices there are set to her preferences?) - doubt the latter is the problem. Finally, do you have a BT (Bluetooth) keyboard that could be 'pairing' w/ the iPad - if so the behavior is not typical and should affect all the apps, so unlikely an explanation - groping at straws for now - hope another member will 'chime in' w/ some ideas - good luck. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts