What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian Navigation

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going on a trip to the east coast. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 3GS. Can anyone recommend a good gps app I can keep maps locally on the iPad and iPhone to save data charges or if I go out of range. I'm not looking for a free option and willing to spend the money needed.
I would also like turn by turn.
I looked at the Navigon but some commenters said it doesn't tell you to turn until it is to late at times.

Thanks

64GB 3G White iPad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going on a trip to the east coast. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 3GS. Can anyone recommend a good gps app I can keep maps locally on the iPad and iPhone to save data charges or if I go out of range. I'm not looking for a free option and willing to spend the money needed.
I would also like turn by turn.
I looked at the Navigon but some commenters said it doesn't tell you to turn until it is to late at times.

Thanks

64GB 3G White iPad

I'm just testing Navigon North America now and it is rock solid so far. No delay whatsoever, on the contrary, it usually alerts you two or three times before a turn, the last alert is spot on. "Stunning" might be a more appropriate word for this app. I believe that the comments you are referring to may refer more to the iPhone (maybe even older ones) and the Android versions. I've seen them too. If you have an iPad 2, and Navigon is still on sale, I would jump at it. Heck, I put it on a price watchlist and did jump at it when it dropped (considerably) about a week ago. :) This app *alone* might make the iPad worth it for some people.

I am using it with the excellent Dual XGPS150 (my iPad 2 is 64, sans 3G); but, I don't think that would influence things. Let me know here how you like it if you decide to get it. I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

P.S. Somebody posted an alternative on a related thread that I responded to a couple of days ago. I don't know anything about that one but it had decent to excellent reviews.

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few complaints and I'm hoping they refund my money.
The interface is not friendly, there is no way for me to drop pins.
The iPhone will only say the turn by turn in headphones.
Im In new Brunswick and there are a lot of things missing from the POI's.

Thanks for your feedback. I hope to get deeper into the app. and see improvements.

64GB 3G White iPad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a few complaints and I'm hoping they refund my money.
The interface is not friendly, there is no way for me to drop pins.
The iPhone will only say the turn by turn in headphones.
Im In new Brunswick and there are a lot of things missing from the POI's.

Thanks for your feedback. I hope to get deeper into the app. and see improvements.

64GB 3G White iPad

I'm sorry to hear that but, I understand that they may not have covered New Brunswick well. I have only tried it on my iPad so far. However, I've heard that if you really don't like an app you should just call or contact Apple and they normally will give you a refund unless the person abuses with countless returns. Tim is sometimes helping people with problems by suggesting that avenue.

Last edited:
OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will contact them next week. I was hoping to enjoy this app because when you sort by user ratings it right up there. I figured how can thousands of satisfied people be wrong?

My holidays are going great it's just a shame I have to use google maps after spending over $50 on Navigon. :(

As the IT person my wife looks to me to figure out the best gps product. I had an in car gps but it was stolen. I have a mouse gps for my laptops but I was hoping to find an iPad replacement that would also work on my other iOS devices.

Thanks again.

64GB 3G White iPad

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know how to do something as simple as select a point on the map and save it? I can't figure it out.
I mean like drop pins on google. Sometimes you know where you are going and don't have an address.
This is the reason I had to switch to google maps today.

64GB 3G White iPad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you know how to do something as simple as select a point on the map and save it? I can't figure it out.
I mean like drop pins on google. Sometimes you know where you are going and don't have an address.
This is the reason I had to switch to google maps today.

64GB 3G White iPad
Well, you can save an address as a favorite, of course; but, I haven't seen anything that emulates the Maps App Pin Drop. I'm not sure if any of the other GPS systems does it either.

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found drop pins in the rout planner. One more thing that is bothering me is you can't pan around when on the maps. You can only zoom out.
Unless I am missing something.

64GB 3G White iPad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good. I'm glad you were able to find that function and thanks for letting me know. I'm actually hacking my way through the program since I don't see a User's Manual for the iPad version. I thought that it would be fairly straightforward, but I guess I will have to use the old iPhone User's Manual which I found to get the finer points. In general it's working fine for me. There is still a button or two that I have no idea about and there seems to be little discussion about the program on the net, although I haven't really had time to search well.

The cosmetic improvements of the 3D add-on are nice touch for the iPad in my neck of the woods (not at all essential), though I'm not sure I would want to install them into the iTouch in my case. I also picked up the traffic module which I have not had time to explore (on sale as of two days ago). This seems to give the program the ability to pick the route out more intelligently and worked brilliantly yesterday (I believe).

The RAM mount for the car that I purchased has turned out excellent for me (luck); but, I don't feel comfortable recommending it at this point, if you need details let me know.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to comment on the panning. On the iPad, if you tap the screen once while it is in 3D or 3D Panoramic, it takes it into 2D mode. From there you can pan.

Most reactions