What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map / Navigation App

beasonfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi There,

I decided not to get the iPad2 3G. Instead, I purchased the WiFi version. My family and I are going to take a few trips soon, and I am looking into apps that will allow me to view maps even when I am not in range of a WiFi signal.

A person I was standing in line with yesterday suggested Navigon, but when I saw how expensive it was, I almost barfed. Isn't there anything cheaper?

Thanks in advance for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All the companies that offer map packages charge an arm and a leg for their use. Probably because it takes considerable resources to make and keep updated maps and info.

I noticed that the Navigon apps were a bit cheaper if you can narrow it down to a specific region. CoPilot offers a $29.99 app for all North America. I don't know of anything cheaper for navigation with an offline map database.

Both the MotionX GPS Drive HD and MotionX GPS HD apps will catch up to 2GB of map data, so if you carefully preview all the areas you are going next when near a WiFi, they will probably works well enough when away. You have to pay a fee for voice navigation after the first 30 days, but everything else works. They are $2.99 each.

Topo is of limited use as a navigation tool, but pretty cool. For $7.99 it allows you to visit a database of topographical maps and download any that you like. Good for hikers, hunters, or the merely curious.

And that's all I've got.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a big Issue for me also. I love Google maps voice navigation Free! on my android phone. Doesn't iOS have the same thing?

What is the most popular Navigation app? I'm surprised that Itunes does not provided this. At least I have found it in my few days in the iOS world.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just noticed that you said you didn't have a 3G model. Be careful with anything you purchase. Some of the packages are designed for GPS and won't work without it.

I see an app called City Maps 2 Go. It looks like exactly what you need. For $1.99 you download the city maps you need and then use them offline. It's got a lite version, so you can give it a try for free.

hoek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If interested in Navigon, they released a new version yesterday, April 14th, and until April 28th are offering $15 off the normal purchase price.

I actually bought the CoPilot HD four days ago and its garbage. In fact I'm seriously looking for an alternative and may buy Navigon unless I get the strong impression Google will have something within the next few months. The first day I tried CoPilot it wouldn't recognize a gas station while I was refueling. Navigating to the Mall was great until after entering the parking lot the system tried to direct us back on the Highway using a route that was inaccessible. Then, while driving home the unit tried directing us to use an exit that doesn't exist and to make matters worse, when we took the next available exit the unit tried to direct us back on the highway in the opposite direction to exit where one was not available. I contacted tech support and their reply was "not all nav systems are perfect".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts