What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you run PowerPoint Presentations with iPad?

kaceyjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an iPad but the main thing I would need to do on it would be to run a PowerPoint presentation through a projector. Is this something an iPad can do or would I just need to get a laptop?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will work, after a fashion. Not all the transitions are supported fully, you'll have to play with it to see what does/doesn't work. Fonts can bite you in the fanny, even coming from Keynote in OS X.

Video needs to be embedded, not linked to work properly. One good thing is you can d/l Keynote remote and use your iPhone as a presentation controller.

Even Keynote in OS X can tweak a PP presentation a bit. In fact iOS Keynote can tweak a OS X Keynote presentation too, so it's not discriminatory about it. :p

hth

guharoym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kaceyjeanne, yes you can, but why buy a porsche and not take it on the highway.

if youre investing in an iPad, ussing ppt is criminal unless necessary

Check out, storydesk.com. presentations made easy, beautiful and compelling.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One advantage of Keynote is that you can import your Microsoft Powerpoint presentations into it. Another is that you can import Microsoft templates. I added my favorite PowerPoint template without a problem.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the app. i just got it... how can i open a powerpoint and keynote file i just made? do i have to email it to myself so it can be opened by the app, or is there a simpler way.

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the app. i just got it... how can i open a powerpoint and keynote file i just made? do i have to email it to myself so it can be opened by the app, or is there a simpler way.
When you have your iPad connected to your computer you can add files to the app using iTunes.

Click on your iPad under "Devices" in the left-hand menu in iTunes. Click on "Apps" at the top of the screen (between "Info" and "Music"). Scroll down to the "File Sharing" area. 2Screens will be listed under "Apps". Then just drag and drop your presentation or other files into the right-hand document area. You can also use the "Add" button at the bottom.

v7eetf.jpg

If the file you want to use is already on your iPad you can mail it to yourself (ideally as a PDF) and then tap on the file to get the "Open in" option and pick 2Screens.

However a quicker way, especially if you don't have an Internet connection is to create an email to send to yourself (or really anyone) which will place the email and file in your Mail's Outbox. Open the Outbox, open the pending email and, again, tap on the file and in the "Open with" popup pick 2Screens. Save it in 2Screens and delete the outgoing email later.

BTW, 2Screens has a User Manual - tap on the tools icon in the upper right-hand corner to open it.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

garysxterra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you import a slideshow from a Mac to an iPad? Dragging the .ppt into iTunes doesn't seem to have any effect.

garysxterra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I just realized the how to when I closed my posting window and ended up on the page of the thread with instructions on how move files into iTunes.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts