What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you get around the 3g service?

JaimeLynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically ATT are a bunch of scam artists and are now charging $25 a month for 2gb of service and $10 for each additional GB. How can you hack to get around the 3g service? the only option I found was to tether my blackberry internet service and use that like a 3g hotspot. Any other suggestions or ways to avoid paying for this ridiculous service???

Hate ATT!!

PolkSDA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's wrong with tethering as a solution? I use WMWifirouter on my Sprint Treo Pro with my iPad and it works like a charm. Sure it's not as fast as a good wifi connection, but it certainly works in a pinch. I'm not sure what kind of a solution you're hoping to achieve...

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I'm confused too. What do you plan on doing to use more than 2gb of data a month anyway?

I had a sprint mifi that was 60 bucks a month. Batter was only a few hours, another device to carry around, and another thing to charge. Plus more than double the price. Tethering.. Kill my iPhone faster I'm sure because of the constant data going through it. I need my phone to talk/email.

It's all about what you need and what you can afford. If I knew I couldn't afford the 3G iPad I wouldn't have bought it.

You could try tmobiles edge, but that's sloooooow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trust me 2gb is plenty. i have a 6 gb data plan for my iphone and i will use 1.5 gb at MOST. and thats me using the data plan intensely. if ur gonna use ur ipad to go on facebook, google, or watch videos on youtube, etc, ur barely gonna use 1gb.

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for some 2gb isn't enough. I use to work in a Production company and with the promotion video and stuff I had to view on the go, it went average of 4gb a month.

OP
J

JaimeLynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 4 email accounts which use a ton of data and also I use it for netflix and hulu so yes I will go over 2gb. I can afford the ipad and the service but it is the principal that I can't even have the option to purchase the unlimited plan. I have to pay extra for going over 2gb. It is just nonsense that these companies dictate everything and give us no options because they monopolize the market.

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 4 email accounts which use a ton of data and also I use it for netflix and hulu so yes I will go over 2gb. I can afford the ipad and the service but it is the principal that I can't even have the option to purchase the unlimited plan. I have to pay extra for going over 2gb. It is just nonsense that these companies dictate everything and give us no options because they monopolize the market.

I agree . That's my one complaint bout the iPad and apple. Steve jobs is almost like a neo Nazi of sorts :p, the restrictions are bit much and AT&T is a scam, the 250mb data plan is bs. Way too little data.

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree . That's my one complaint bout the iPad and apple. Steve jobs is almost like a neo Nazi of sorts :p, the restrictions are bit much and AT&T is a scam, the 250mb data plan is bs. Way too little data.
So, don't buy from Apple. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything you don't want. It's not a monopoly because you have options other than Apple. You don't like AT&T, don't use the service.

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True but Im still really enjoying my iPad and the apps on it. Just sayin maybe they can take it easy with the restrictions but honestly I think its still a sick device

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
... WiFi?

Wired Internet (even if you use it via WiFi) is far more reliable and consistent in most cases than cellular Internet.

Use AT&T when you're away from home (250 MB night even do); use your home broadband connection at home, and use WiFi when you're traveling and it's available.

OP
J

JaimeLynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
obviously noone is forcing us to buy apple products but its a great product and not much like it, that shouldn't mean we are forced into a data plan since there are no other options. I was talking about ATT monopolizing the market, not APPLE, with it being the ONLY data service for IPAD.

I just wanted a solution to be able to use more data without paying out the ass through ATT. Using the wifi and switching to 3g when on the road seems to be the best plan.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol more AT&T fan boys, I have AT&T and yes I agree the new plans are a scam, way too much for data I do not care what ANYONE says! hey could give more options and still make plenty of money from people doing so!

Most reactions

Latest posts