What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can i use my ipad(3g) in roatan, honduras?

joys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone used their ipad in honduras? i recently purchased an ipad2 with 3g (from canada) and would like to take it on a trip to roatan, honduras. the service providers in hondura are Tigo and Claro. would appreciate any user experience information. thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem...

From Wikipedia..

[edit]Honduras
TIGO was launched in Honduras in 2004, to replace the old national brand CELTEL, that had been founded on September 15, 1996, with a new international brand. TIGO Honduras, in a country of 8 million inhabitants with an 87% mobile penetration rate has a total 4.5 million users.[1] It competes with international operators Claro (America Movil), Digicel (Digicel Group) and government owned operator Hondutel, using GSM/GPRS and UMTS (HSDPA) 3G both over 850*MHz. Now shutdown technologies include AMPS and CDMA.

Tim

OP
J

joys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I have researched this information and yes, it appears that I should be able to do this. However, a friend who travels there regularly claims 3G is not accessible without a broadband stick which is purchased from a carrier in Honduras. The stick needs a USB port. I'm not particularly savvy about this kind of thing so I really want to know if somebody has used an ipad in Honduras.

heartbreakid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I live here in tegucigalpa,Honduras...The stick your friend tells u about is only For laptops/Desktop pcs, you can use ur Ipad with 3G Connectivity with no Problem only ur roaming fees will go through the roof xD! I recommend you buying a sim card from Here (TIGO) and activating a weekly or monthly internet plan, its really cheap.
My mom has the ipad, my dad the ipad 2 and they acquired a sim card from tigo just for the ipad with a monthly internet plan. They can use 3G almost everywhere.
Good Luck, and enjoy RoataN! Its really beautiful =)

Donna Cope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. My husband and I have a cabana in Sandy Bay in Honduras and have been going there 1 or 2 times every year for about 10 years. I have been using the TIGO stick with my laptop. But just got an I Pad for Christmas and would rather take it with me in March. How does the SIM card work. There is no way to open the I Pad. Does the SIM card somehow insert in the lightning charging port?

Most reactions

Latest posts