1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

can i use my ipad(3g) in roatan, honduras?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by joys, Oct 13, 2011.

1. joys

joys iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    has anyone used their ipad in honduras? i recently purchased an ipad2 with 3g (from canada) and would like to take it on a trip to roatan, honduras. the service providers in hondura are Tigo and Claro. would appreciate any user experience information. thanks.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    No problem...

From Wikipedia..

[edit]Honduras
    TIGO was launched in Honduras in 2004, to replace the old national brand CELTEL, that had been founded on September 15, 1996, with a new international brand. TIGO Honduras, in a country of 8 million inhabitants with an 87% mobile penetration rate has a total 4.5 million users.[1] It competes with international operators Claro (America Movil), Digicel (Digicel Group) and government owned operator Hondutel, using GSM/GPRS and UMTS (HSDPA) 3G both over 850*MHz. Now shutdown technologies include AMPS and CDMA.

Tim
  3. joys

joys iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tim. I have researched this information and yes, it appears that I should be able to do this. However, a friend who travels there regularly claims 3G is not accessible without a broadband stick which is purchased from a carrier in Honduras. The stick needs a USB port. I'm not particularly savvy about this kind of thing so I really want to know if somebody has used an ipad in Honduras.
  4. heartbreakid

heartbreakid iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I live here in tegucigalpa,Honduras...The stick your friend tells u about is only For laptops/Desktop pcs, you can use ur Ipad with 3G Connectivity with no Problem only ur roaming fees will go through the roof xD! I recommend you buying a sim card from Here (TIGO) and activating a weekly or monthly internet plan, its really cheap.
    My mom has the ipad, my dad the ipad 2 and they acquired a sim card from tigo just for the ipad with a monthly internet plan. They can use 3G almost everywhere.
    Good Luck, and enjoy RoataN! Its really beautiful =)
  5. Donna Cope

Donna Cope iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. My husband and I have a cabana in Sandy Bay in Honduras and have been going there 1 or 2 times every year for about 10 years. I have been using the TIGO stick with my laptop. But just got an I Pad for Christmas and would rather take it with me in March. How does the SIM card work. There is no way to open the I Pad. Does the SIM card somehow insert in the lightning charging port?