Can an iPad power a USB midi controller

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kenrob2037, Dec 18, 2017.

1. kenrob2037

kenrob2037
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Everyone,

I have tried to get my 2017 iPad to power my midi controller, it's a Roland A-49, put it does not.

Does anyone know if it is possible, or do iPad only work with powered midi keyboards?

Cheers

Rob

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Rob - you are fairly new here so welcome to the forum! :) I probably do not have an adequate answer for you, but my wife is an accomplished amateur musician and singer who owns multiple instruments including a MIDI KB - probably a dozen or so years ago, I hooked it to our PC for her to experiment, so interested in your situation - believe I used a Roland connector.

But first provide us w/ the 2017 model device that you own, i.e. iPad or an iPad Pro? Second, the 'lightning dock' is 8-pins w/ just one devoted to power, i.e. for battery charging (see first pic below) - reading about your Roland KB HERE, the instrument can run off USB power (about 100 mA current required - see following pics below) - the Roland brochures that I reviewed (assume you've gone through the same process) indicate that an iPad can be used, but an AC-powered USB hub is needed (last pic) - thus, my interpretation is that the iPad cannot provide the power needed to run your Roland KB and must be supplemented w/ power, as described. If not already done, check the support area on the Roland website and/or give them a call for advice. Good luck - Dave :)
    Roland0.png Roland1.png Roland2.png Roland3.png Roland4.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. kenrob2037

kenrob2037
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you Dave for the detailed reply, that is very helpful.

As my 2017 iPad, which is not the Pro version, would not power anything through its port, such as a USB mic, a usb powered backup drive, nor my midi controller, I assumed that the iPad is not as suitable as an Android or most Windows devices that will power this type of equipment.

I have to say, I find it gobsmacking that Apple, the industry standard for tech in the music industry, produce a tablet that will not power a midi controller so it can be independently used as a tool to produce music.

I guess that's the world of a proprietary business.

Thanks again Dave.

Regards

rob