What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Airport express base station turn wifi to ethernet?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Currently using a slingbox pro hd which requires an Ethernet inlet (no built in wifi). I have a router, but my sling box is nowhere near it, so I need to get Ethernet access in a room which has none. I'm using a sling link turbo to provide me that ethernet availability (Internet through the power lines). The thing is now I have two sling links in the house and the cables are building up and getting in the way, plus the connection isn't that great.

Googling ways to solve this, I look for devices that can receive wifi signals, and be able to pass it on through Ethernet cables to other devices. I happen to stumble upon a site with a side not that the express base station from apple is able to do this, is this true? And is this device compatible with a non-apple router?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can get a bridge device....or even a repeater.

Or, you can go powerline! As long as you don't try to stream blu-rays, it should work great. You'll get two pieces, one that has to be near the router...and there is an ethernet jack on it that you plug into the router. The other peice will go near your device...and it too has an enternet jack...and you plug your device into it. Some even come with serveral ethernet jacks, so you can put your entire home theater on your network.

I have a couple different brands and they book work well. I'd do a little research to find which gives you the highest throughput. Things improve over time....

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He's already using a powerline :)
I'm using a sling link turbo to provide me that ethernet availability (Internet through the power lines). The thing is now I have two sling links in the house and the cables are building up and getting in the way, plus the connection isn't that great....

I happen to stumble upon a site with a side not(e) that the express base station from apple is able to do this, is this true? And is this device compatible with a non-apple router?
Short answer - yes, Airport Express can do this - I just tried it with the one I have in my kitchen. This AE is set up to extend the existing WiFi signal (from a non-Apple router as it happens), I killed WiFi on my laptop and connected by ethernet cable to the AE, and it worked fine; you won't get ethernet speeds, obviously, but I've found WiFi to be better than powerline adapters, personally.

HTH Pete

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
petermillard said:
He's already using a powerline :)

Short answer - yes, Airport Express can do this - I just tried it with the one I have in my kitchen. This AE is set up to extend the existing WiFi signal (from a non-Apple router as it happens), I killed WiFi on my laptop and connected by ethernet cable to the AE, and it worked fine; you won't get ethernet speeds, obviously, but I've found WiFi to be better than powerline adapters, personally.

HTH Pete

Thanks so much! Going out to buy one :D

Most reactions

Latest posts