What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

calling with ipad2 3g

Bhm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i call with ipad 2 3g or send sms with it?

i know about line2 app but can i use the 3g function after the trial period expires?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i know about line2 app but can i use the 3g function after the trial period expires?

The only way an iPad can make a call is by using VoIP technology, such as Skype. It cannot be used as a 'regular' GSM-style mobile 'phone because it does not have the necessary functionality for that. Similarly, you cannot send SMS ('text') messages from the native iPad 3G, but there are third party apps that host text functionality on their company website.

Tim

Reaction score
Bhm said:

It depends on your location. As Tim already mentioned, there a third party apps, which let you call and text, but most of them are restricted to the US, if that happens to be where you live, than it should be possible.

For sending texts, Heywire can be used.

As for calls, perhaps someone else can help. Skype let's you call landline and cellphones, but it costs money, there should be some other ad-supported apps which do the same for free.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Line 2 app. Great, clear calls. Texting too. After the 30 free trial, it is $9.95 a month - less if you pay for a year. I was able to cut back my ATT plan from unlimited to 450 min and drop texting, so I still save $25.00 a month by using Line 2. It can be used worldwide, too. Just watch the video after you download the free trial. Very explanatory video. Works for me. I like saving money. Just plug in your earphones and you have a phone and texting machine too.:)

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I have Line2 and the Ipad2 is in "sleep mode with smart cover" will it notify me there is a call or will it just wait till the next time I open the smart cover to tell me I missed a call?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
To send SMS messages to a mobile phone I use the app 'brilliant sms'.
For telephone calls, both to mobiles and land lines and other devices I use skype.

These apps work really well, but they'll cost you.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had success with text and VoIP using TextFree plus voice. It's a free iphone app that works on the iPad, and you can get free call minutes by downloading apps from the program. I haven't tried to call using 3G, but I'm sure it would work as long as you have a strong signal.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
sjleworthy said:
Not to get confused of course, texting and SMS messages are 2 very different things.

Care to explain? Texting is using SMS messaging. They are exactly the same thing!

Drowsyrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yahoo Messenger is great for SMS and you can buy minutes and make phone calls from your iPad. Unlike google, recipients don't have to have yahoo account.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Line2 you can make VOIP or 3G phone calls and send texts. There is a 30 day FREE trial period. You can watch the intro video after you download the app or go to their website: Virtual PBX: Hosted Small Business VoIP Phone Systems | Toktumi and watch the videos and read the FAQ. I am extremely pleased with this app. You an use it worldwide too. I am not sure the app is available beyond the US tho. Check the website Virtual PBX: Hosted Small Business VoIP Phone Systems | Toktumi. All I can say is it works for me on wifi and 3G. I have it installed on my iPhone and iPad 2. Think it works on Android too. It saves me $25.00 a month on my former phone plan/texting plan. :D

Reaction score
I use TextNow for SMS/MMS and Whistle for phone calls. I also use Text Free on my Droid Incredible and my iPad sometimes since it shares the same number between devices, iow, I text from it and responses come to both my iPad and phone
All free at the app store

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Most reactions

Latest posts