What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth not connecting

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of a sudden the Bluetooth on my iPad won't connect. I wear hearing aids and have used the device for 3-4 months. Today nothing. Bluetooth is on in settings, the connection to my hearing aids seems fine. The device is fully charged and I have new batteries in the hearing aids. But if I try to hear anything, like music, it goes straight to the iPad speakers. I have even re-booted several times. Any suggestions?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All of a sudden the Bluetooth on my iPad won't connect. I wear hearing aids and have used the device for 3-4 months. Today nothing. Bluetooth is on in settings, the connection to my hearing aids seems fine. The device is fully charged and I have new batteries in the hearing aids. But if I try to hear anything, like music, it goes straight to the iPad speakers. I have even re-booted several times. Any suggestions?

Hi Wayne - first, let us know what iPad model you own and the iPadOS (or iOS) installed; second, when you go to Settings -> Bluetooth, are your 'hearing aids' shown to be 'Connected' (see pic below from my iPad Pro connected to a pair of earphones via BT); and third, let us know what your mean by 're-booted', i.e. there are several ways to restart an iPad like a 'soft vs. hard' reset and the steps may vary w/ the iPad's model type? Dave :)
IMG_0873.PNG

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an iPad 7th generation with ios 113.4.1. When I say re-booted I simply mean turning the power on and off.

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, it does read "Connected" just as your example shows.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is an iPad 7th generation with ios 113.4.1. When I say re-booted I simply mean turning the power on and off.

Also, it does read "Connected" just as your example shows.

Hi again Wayne - according to the table below, you have a current model released last fall in 2019 and running iPadOS 13.x - the current version is 13.5 - first, concerning the 're-boot', please follow the instructions quoted below, if not done previously, and let us know if that helps.

My only other thoughts are to make sure that your iPad can connect via BT to devices other than your 'hearing aids', and if possible, whether you could try the ear pieces on another device w/ BT. Dave :)

Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Sleep/wake button until you see the Apple Logo.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 10.27.02 PM.png

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave:
The re-boot you suggested seems to have don the trick. Thanks so much for all your help.
One more quick question. You mentioned the current OS is 13.5 while mine is 13.4.1. Would it make sense to upgrade? I thought that was done automatically.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Software updates always include security updates as well, so it’s always recommended to stay up to date.

To download updates automatically, go to the Settings app - General - Software Updates, and enable Automatic Updates. Your device will install updates overnight after they have been downloaded. Your iPad has to be connected to Wi-Fi and charging.

Some updates need to be installed manually, though.

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Automatic Updates is enabled. I'm not sure why it didn't update to 13.5, but hopefully it will in the future. I also always have it connected to wifi and charging.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave:
The re-boot you suggested seems to have don the trick. Thanks so much for all your help.
One more quick question. You mentioned the current OS is 13.5 while mine is 13.4.1. Would it make sense to upgrade? I thought that was done automatically.

Hi again Wayne - glad that the BT came back for you - others have jumped in on your question about updates/upgrades - doesn't seem to always work for me on all of our iDevices, so you can check periodically in Settings - here's Apple's Description. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts