1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Best Word / Excel software?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CorporationOffAnIpad, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CorporationOffAnIpad

CorporationOffAnIpad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've tried both Docs2Go and OfficeHD, but for some reason my Excel and (especially!) Word files look fairly messed up and improperly formatted when I open them using these programs, and it gets even worse if I try to make changes and save! Font sizes go from big to small or vice versa, centered text ends up on the side, some images disappear, paragraphs get jumbled together, etc. Total nightmare. What do I do?

P.S. If it matters, I'm still on 3.2.2.
  2. sch

sch iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have almost all of the so-called Office equivalents, and I can tell you that none of them are "ready for primetime". All have issues with recreating the document formatting etc. The Excel apps are stunted even as to what formulae are included.

My take on it at this point is that you can use these iPad apps for content creation, but not final preparation. They all have a long way to go to give the kind of interoperability that we all want and require from a portable device in this day and age. In many ways, the Pocket PC software is still more mature (E.g. SpreadCE is still the most fully featured Excel clone for a portable device, far better than anything yet on the iPhone/iPad platform.) :(

Cheers,
  3. CorporationOffAnIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shit, that's extremely disappointing. So what do I do if I need to make some quick changes to an excel or word doc? Can I maybe use remote desktop or something?
  4. scott_R1

scott_R1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yup, but not the iPad.
  5. TJK

TJK Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get an MS Office Live account. You'll need to host your documents on their SkyDrive / cloud storage. When I set mine up last summer I got 25gb storage free. There is an "edit in browser" function that works a little slow but is better than nothing. If you just need quick access / view a document then IMHO nothing beats the DropBox / GoodReader combo. GoodReader can also access iDisk or SkyDrive.

Until MS releases their own apps it's going to be hit or miss. They have already released OneNote so maybe?
  6. CorporationOffAnIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What iPad app is the best for remote desktop?
  7. schwazche

schwazche iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Personally, I love iTeleport. It's a VNC client that works perfectly with MAC or PC's running any number of the VNC servers.
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    for quick changes on excel and word docs on my mobile device i use Office2plus. it's pretty good, and easily sync-able with your mac/pc via wifi.