1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Best leather-folios or rather best-leather folios

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Kukulcan, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Kukulcan

Kukulcan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate the PU or whatever faux leather stuff. I am fine with my silicone skin, but if I buy a leather folio I want leather and good leather, not cheap leather with a bad smell like I often read in reviews.

So which folios/cases have the best leather? I am looking for iPad 2 but if there are especially good iPad 1 cases those companies might offer good iPad 2 stuff now or later.
  2. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not sure what you mean exactly by 'best leather', but for iPad 1 it would have been Oberon Design for me. However, they cut some corners on their iPad 2 cases by not having the rear camera port (instant design fail for me) and built-in magnetic activation, which is a letdown given their usual high level of quality. They also offer iPad sleeves with the same hot-stamped leather design.
  3. mikesus

mikesus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check out bookbook by twelve south...
  4. Pagliacci

Pagliacci iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. mikesus

mikesus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Click on the links in the body of the 3rd subject "ipad2 cases on thier way" on that page and it will work. Look niiiiiiiiiice but pricey.

Edit: nvmnd....it worked twice but now I keep getting the bad gateway error no matter which link I choose.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. Pingles

Pingles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, stay away from the Yoobao (Pyrus on Amazon -- it comes in a Yoobao box).

The smell just about knocked me off of my feet.

Will have to figure out a way to destink this.
  8. Kukulcan

Kukulcan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saddleback sure looks tempting, the site is defunct but I found lots of pics - thanks!

Oberon and bookbook are a little to fancy for me.
  9. Titanium

Titanium iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the iPad1...

I really loved the Saddleback and after weeks of searching it came down to that one, the Oberon and the Bookbook. I love the look of all all 3 and really had a hard time deciding.

I ended up going with the Oberon because I wanted a fold type that didn't add a lot of bulk, plus I loved the Tree Of Life design. I am super happy with it.

I was afraid the Saddleback would be a bit bulky for me because I am really small, but I love the rugged look of it and their marketing is great, I almost bought it on that alone because those guys are funny.

I love the Bookbook because it conceals what you are carrying and zips it up nice and neat. If I traveled a lot I would get it, but for everyday use around the house I didn't want to mess with the zipper.

I saw a brown leather Targus at Best Best that I also liked a lot and it was only $19.99, for the price you can't beat that one for a knock around case.

Good luck on deciding, it is hard!
  10. Stuartjb

Stuartjb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are some expensive leather iPad 2 cases on JW Hulme's website if money is no object. One of them is a folio style and another has a leather smart cover built in.
  11. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Revision 2 of this case now shipping does not have this issue. Also, for the rev 1 which smells, just air it for a couple of days and the smell goes.
  12. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yoobao is not genuine leather. It is made from bonded polyurethane leather, which is a cheap synthetic substitute, hence its ridiculously low price and (when you start using it) lack of durability. Because polyurethane is a type of thermoplastic made from petroleum, that's probably where the bad smell comes from.
  13. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My generation calls that "pleather"

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from my iPad
  14. tdmsu

tdmsu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    "Fine Corinthian Pleather!" :)

I am also considering Oberon. I had one on my Kindle, but I sold it when I went with :ipad-front:.

Now I miss my Tree of Life, but choking a bit on the $130. I doubt I could convince my wife that it is a good investment.

I have a Marware EcoVue now and it is ok, but not very durable on the inside. The outside is fine, but the suede-ish inside shows wear from handling after only a couple months. It peels away from the frame it sits on. They already sent me one replacement, but I don't want another of the same thing again.
  15. Jman09

Jman09 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought this one in Brown from Amazon, and will be sending it back this week. I knew the price had to be too good to be true. I've had it for a few days and the smell is still bad.
  16. Pingles

Pingles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have it airing now. Just as well because my iPad2 is still on the way.

I will certainly return and update my disheartening post if this smell dissipates.

Currently it's truly overwhelming.
  17. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Are you sure? It's marketed as leather and comes with a leather standard - not something they can do if it is synthetic. Also on examining the back portion of the case without the reinforced inserts, it certainly seems like genuine leather to me. I'm no expert but I'm sure it is leather as marketed.
  18. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have one of the Yoobao cases, and unless they've changed the material, it is polyurethane leather. I've owned and used leather products for many years, and know quite about handling and care. It can be disingenuously marketed or described as genuine leather, because it is manufactured using discarded parts of genuine hide (the layers too inferior to be used for premium products), then bonded to a polyurethane thermoplastic to give it more durability and substance. Synthetics these days can look, smell and feel very much like the real thing.

However this synthetic material does not have any of the qualities you'd get with genuine full-hide leather (aniline or semi-aniline) such as being able to be reconditioned or acquiring a patina of 'broken-in' usage over time. It's a bit like how some soft drinks and processed juice claim to 'contain real fruit juice' even if it only comprises 1% - and in some places you *cannot* advertise PU leather as 'genuine'. Usually the dead giveaway is the price: genuine leather is not cheap both as a raw material, as well as labour and workmanship costs (craftsmen who hand-make leather products usually won't bother with inferior material.)
  19. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Yip, I have one too and have reviewed products for many years from the likes of Piel Frama, Vaja, Sena to name a few. These examples are all premium leather products, especially Piel Frama and I'm not comparing Yoobao to this level of quality but still feel the back of the case for example is leather. I also have cheaper PU leather cases from the likes of Chinao and others and while they are good 'clones', there is an obvious difference. I just wanted query why you said they are not leather - I haven't seen any evidence to prove they are indeed not leather. Definitely not in the same league as premium manufacturers and quite possibly not 100% leather either but some sections of the case sure look like leather to me.
  20. Stuartjb

Stuartjb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pdair look to have version 2 of their cases out at the moment and look decent quality.