What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

at&t data plan

patirhodes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been paying for 250gb each month from at&t. I had this renewed last Friday. I have cable internet at home that I use with my Ipad when I'm home. I left the Ipad on a table and left(no one else was home) and when I returned 3 hrs later..I had a message telling me I was down to 16%....Cellular data is always turned "on"..I just can't figure out what used it all, especially since it was in range of my home internet service and that service was working fine.
Any answers?
Pati

Reaction score
By 16% down you mean 16% of your 250MB were used?

Here is the rub with the iPad, when it is on, it always uses wifi over 3G, but when it is in sleep-mode, it always uses 3G. So because no one was using the iPad, did it revert to 3G for checking mails, etc.

OP
P

patirhodes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh, I didn't know that it uses 3g in sleep mode. It was in sleep mode...but I've never seen it dwindle that fast!
Thanks, I feel like I've just given At&T $15....once again.
Pati

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By 16% down you mean 16% of your 250MB were used?

Here is the rub with the iPad, when it is on, it always uses wifi over 3G, but when it is in sleep-mode, it always uses 3G. So because no one was using the iPad, did it revert to 3G for checking mails, etc.

But I have the same plan as Pati ~ and my 3G doesn't run down that quick. I never see 3G kick on unless I am out of my house....

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you remember to turn the cellular data tab off when you were finished using 3G?

tmoney15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better than AT&T

I've gotten really frustrated too with things like this happening and not knowing why data has run off so fast without any answers. I found a service that I started using called TruConnect though that lets me use WiFi with my iPad through a 3G connection, so anywhere AT&T 3G works, for $4.99/month and I only pay for the data I use at 3.9 cents/MB. I used only 167 MB last month so my bill was $6.51 + $4.99 = $11.50. This might also solve your problem because you use a MiFi device that you can turn off so independently of iPad so data can't be charged when the MiFi is not on. Also you can connect up to 5 devices using this MiFi so my wife and I use it for both our iPads with only one data plan. It's a sweet deal for us!

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gotten really frustrated too with things like this happening and not knowing why data has run off so fast without any answers. I found a service that I started using called TruConnect though that lets me use WiFi with my iPad through a 3G connection, so anywhere AT&T 3G works, for $4.99/month and I only pay for the data I use at 3.9 cents/MB. I used only 167 MB last month so my bill was $6.51 + $4.99 = $11.50. This might also solve your problem because you use a MiFi device that you can turn off so independently of iPad so data can't be charged when the MiFi is not on. Also you can connect up to 5 devices using this MiFi so my wife and I use it for both our iPads with only one data plan. It's a sweet deal for us!

That sounds like a plan I would like to have. If I follow you correctly I would have to buy the small Mifi device Truconnect sells and use WiFi thru that device,QUESTION. where does your 3 G data plan come from. What happens to the AT&T the carrier I am now stuck with using their data plan. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Al

Last edited:

tmoney15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al I'll try to answer your question as best I can. TruConnect uses the Sprint 3G network. The MiFi connects to the Sprint 3G network and then creates a WiFi hotspot from the MiFi for your iPad. So you will be connecting the iPad via WiFi through the TruConnect service. I hope that is clear. I know it might sound a little confusing. As for the at&t you can simply turn off your 3G plan and never use it then you will not pay for it, but can still have the benefit of 3G internet. I have used my iPad in the car (not while driving of course ;) ) , at the airport, at my hotel, and even at the beach once. It's been a great service. If you have any more questions or I was unclear I will try to answer.

That sounds like a plan I would like to have. If I follow you correctly I would have to buy the small Mifi device Truconnect sells and use WiFi thru that device,QUESTION. where does your 3 G data plan come from. What happens to the AT&T the carrier I am now stuck with using their data plan. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Al

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al I'll try to answer your question as best I can. TruConnect uses the Sprint 3G network. The MiFi connects to the Sprint 3G network and then creates a WiFi hotspot from the MiFi for your iPad. So you will be connecting the iPad via WiFi through the TruConnect service. I hope that is clear. I know it might sound a little confusing. As for the at&t you can simply turn off your 3G plan and never use it then you will not pay for it, but can still have the benefit of 3G internet. I have used my iPad in the car (not while driving of course ;) ) , at the airport, at my hotel, and even at the beach once. It's been a great service. If you have any more questions or I was unclear I will try to answer.

Al

That is how I thought it would work,however do you cancel at&t data plan?not just turn 3G off, because you have to cancel the data program with them or you will be paying every month. Many thanks for getting back to me.

Al.

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This phantom data usage with AT&T is the main reason my iPad is wifi only. On my iPhone I turn off 3G and data until I need them. It's a hassle but my phone was grabbing heavy data charges in the middle of the night when the phone was not in use. I don't fetch anything or allow any push notifications so it was a mystery to me, so I just shut it down unless I'm using it - problem solved. But there is a class action suit afoot for this problem:

http://www.techspot.com/news/43878-lawsuit-accuses-att-of-inflating-iphone-ipad-data-usage.html

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al

AT&T's data plan is month to month, no contract, but it auto-renews. So if you want to quit it, you cancel online (easy) or call. Otherwise, they'll just keep billing you monthly.

Most reactions

Latest posts