What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T data plan details

tiapia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called AT&T wanting to get a detailed statement of my data use on my iPad. The representative said that was not possible. Why is that? I don't think that's right. AT&T should be able to tell me that on a certain day and time I went onto their 3G network for a certain period and then off their network at a certain time. I am sure they have the capacity to do this. Perhaps it's just their way of being able to overcharge for data use like the recent lawsuit is contending? Any thoughts?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have AT&T. You can go to Settings and under Cellular Data ~ view your account and it tells you how much you have left.

They also send you an email when you have about 20MB left. But to say that they are trying to overcharge you, is a wee bit paranoid.:(

diannenet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.speedyspetparadise.weebly.com
Another question about the AT&T data plan

My current data plan month is about up but can't remember if I switched to the higher priced 3G plan for next month or not. Is there some place I can go to see if I've already requested an upgrade for next month? If not is there a number I can call to ask? Or do I just call the 800-331-0500 number?

Thanks.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
diannenet said:
My current data plan month is about up but can't remember if I switched to the higher priced 3G plan for next month or not. Is there some place I can go to see if I've already requested an upgrade for next month? If not is there a number I can call to ask? Or do I just call the 800-331-0500 number?

Thanks.

I believe you need to log into your account and it should have a statement of what you are set up to receive when your current 30 days expires etc.

OP
T

tiapia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for detail of plan use

I have AT&T. You can go to Settings and under Cellular Data ~ view your account and it tells you how much you have left.

They also send you an email when you have about 20MB left. But to say that they are trying to overcharge you, is a wee bit paranoid.:(

Thanks for the reply! What I'm looking for is a detail of my usage like they do for cell phones. Just want them to show what time/date I went onto their network, for how long and then what time I went off their network. I don't think it would be difficult for them.

Also, I saw the report about that class action lawsuit re: AT&T overcharging customers on the Today Show and in various articles online.

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tiapia said:
Thanks for the reply! What I'm looking for is a detail of my usage like they do for cell phones. Just want them to show what time/date I went onto their network, for how long and then what time I went off their network. I don't think it would be difficult for them.

Also, I saw the report about that class action lawsuit re: AT&T overcharging customers on the Today Show and in various articles online.

AT&T also charges WiFi-only enabled iPad owners a monthly fee for tethering their iPads to their iPhones. Now my question is: if you weren't tethering your iPad to your iPhone, you would be using your iPhone in 3G mode, so what's the difference? Why charge you more for using the 3G network for your iPad when you're not going to be using both devices simultaneously? The answer is to jailbreak your iPhone and tether it to your iPad using the app MyFi available on Cydia. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don9307 said:
AT&T also charges WiFi-only enabled iPad owners a monthly fee for tethering their iPads to their iPhones. Now my question is: if you weren't tethering your iPad to your iPhone, you would be using your iPhone in 3G mode, so what's the difference? Why charge you more for using the 3G network for your iPad when you're not going to be using both devices simultaneously? The answer is to jailbreak your iPhone and tether it to your iPad using the app MyFi available on Cydia. Problem solved.

I should have said the app's name is MyWi.

Markswheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can Download The app myAT&T from the app store. I just looked at my bill through the app and there is a detailed listing of my data usage from my iPad. The app is free.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Markswheels said:
You can Download The app myAT&T from the app store. I just looked at my bill through the app and there is a detailed listing of my data usage from my iPad. The app is free.

I have that app on my iPhone.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don9307 said:
I should have said the app's name is MyWi.

AT&T can check to see if a phone (even jail broken) is being used to tether and whether or not it is being paid for. There were a few articles about this recently. They can turn off the capability and bill you.

OP
T

tiapia

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks! I'll try that. ;)

OP
T

tiapia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the app, but it appears that I need to register at the AT&T site to manage my account. However when I try to register for the 3G it tells me that consumer accounts cannot be registered at the premier site. I go to the consumer side and still cannot register using the phone number for the AT&T 3G. Trying to contact AT&T via the web site is also very confusing as clicking on chat or email takes you back to the registration page. Just takes you in a loop. VERY FRUSTRATING! I've never had trouble like this before.

bob2200

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too was recently very frustrated with AT&T. I tried telephone support and was shuttled around until I was talking to somebody who knew almost nothing (at least he spoke English). Maybe I'll try calling during weekday business hours or try visiting the local AT&T store.

Can anybody explain the AT&T Wi-fi Premier service that comes with the wireless data plan?

Most reactions

Latest posts