What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are u an iflow reader fan?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, that was anticipated . All eBook retailers are going out of business . Apple is taking their place. Eventually all book publishers will go out of business as well.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Job's has been screwing people since the '70's. Here's a Q&A with Wozniak

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q From e-mail:
I was in Barnes & Noble last night and stumbled onto a book by Gil Amelio which detailed his "500 days at Apple." I think his book was called "On the Firing Line." Anyway, given my interest in reading your comments in the wake of "Pirates," I looked up references to you. In one, he recounts your explanation of the Woz/Jobs friendship rift. He asserts that you told him that way back in the 70s, before the Apple I, you were working on something for Atari with Jobs. You did all of the work, and you and Jobs were supposed to get $1000. When you produced the product, Jobs gave it to Atari and came back to you with $300, saying all he got from them was $600. You didn't find out until the mid-eighties thatJobs actually did get $1000, and he ripped you off. Can you confirm this story?
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WOZ:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't like to stir up old things that carry a negative note, but Steve was actually paid more like $3000 or $5000 or something. Nolan Bushnell, who paid him, gave the amount in a recent book, "Silicon Valley Guys." I was actually sort of thankful that Gil got it wrong, because it didn't sound as attrocious as it really was. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To clarify, this happened before Apple, when Steve and I were best friends with little to our names. Steve said we'd split it 50/50. If he'd just said that I could have $50 for doing it I would have done it anyway for the fun and honor of designing an arcade game. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can see why I cried deeply when I found out the truth. I get hurt and cry very easily when people don't treat others well, or when the "right" thing isn't happening. Also, Steve doesn't remember the incident this way, so consider another possibility: that those saying the payment was large could be remembering it incorrectly. This is old stuff, and it's best not to use it as an indicator of Steve today.[/FONT]

And that was his "best" friend.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Yep, that was anticipated . All eBook retailers are going out of business . Apple is taking their place. Eventually all book publishers will go out of business as well.

Sorry to disagree but that is a ridiculous statement. One eBook app creator (iFlowReader) that put all their efforts into Apple apps is going out of business citing lack of profits because of Apple policy. No eBook retailer is failing. As a matter of fact, eBook sales just recently surpassed the sales of paper books and are stronger now than ever before. Conversely, in comparison to other eBook sellers like Amazon.com (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), and Sony (eReader) Apple sells fewer electronic books.

Ebook sales pass another milestone | Books | guardian.co.uk

E-Books See Triple Digit Growth As Paper Book Sales Dive

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry to disagree but that is a ridiculous statement. One eBook app creator (iFlowReader) that put all their efforts into Apple apps is going out of business citing lack of profits because of Apple policy. No eBook retailer is failing. As a matter of fact, eBooks sales just recently surpassed the sales of paper books and are stronger now than ever before. Conversely, in comparison to other eBook sellers like Amazon.com (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), and Sony (eReader) Apple sells fewer electronic books.

You just wait and see. The eBook is going the same way Music has gone with the introduction of MP3 . The Internet is loaded with "Stolen" Mp3 Music. It is also Loaded with stolen ePUB's and PDF Magazines ( You can download any magazine in the world these days). The US as of now is still keeping the eBooks publication alaive, since the majority of users ARE still paying for it, but look what's happening in the rest of the world.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Sorry to disagree but that is a ridiculous statement. One eBook app creator (iFlowReader) that put all their efforts into Apple apps is going out of business citing lack of profits because of Apple policy. No eBook retailer is failing. As a matter of fact, eBooks sales just recently surpassed the sales of paper books and are stronger now than ever before. Conversely, in comparison to other eBook sellers like Amazon.com (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), and Sony (eReader) Apple sells fewer electronic books.

Spot on.
One ebook reader app tied to the iOS system isn't a diverse strategy. Amazon and Barnes&Noble both have their own content ecosystems as well as hardware of their own so they're less reliant on the whims of Apple.

the mp3 comparison in the next post doesn't stack up either... Both Apple and Amazon are both selling lots of mp3's and ebooks despite a small minority choosing to take less legal routes.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

You just wait and see. The eBook is going the same way Music has gone with the introduction of MP3 . The Internet is loaded with "Stolen" Mp3 Music. It is also Loaded with stolen ePUB's and PDF Magazines ( You can download any magazine in the world these days). The US as of now is still keeping the eBooks publication alaive, since the majority of users ARE still paying for it, but look what's happening in the rest of the world.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The mp3 took the place of the CD and vinyl records. The eBook is replacing the paper book. In comparison, they are the digital equivalent to each other in what they do and what they've replaced. And yes, there will always be pirating on the internet but normal, law-abiding folks like you and I will be purchasing lots and lots and lots of eBooks and mp3's. As I imagine our grandchildren will, as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts