What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archives

gfmccullough

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is the archive located in the original iPad ? I assume when we archive a piece of email that we could retrieve it again ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It archives it on the server, not the iPad. Where that is stored depends on your email service provider. In GMail it moves the email to the All Email folder. You can see this if you tap the mailbox button to see all inboxes and accounts, then choose the GMail account at the bottom (not the inbox).

I have this turned off in my GMail account. I don't find it useful. Instead I created some folders using the Google web site mail client (called labels there), then use the folder icon in Mail to move files I want saved into those folder. Still stored on the sever, but easily accessible on the iPad with better organization.

The archive feature is't available if you use the Exchange method to set up your GMail anyway, and I almost always have my GMail set up that way, except when I'm testing the differences between the accounts.

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It archives it on the server, not the iPad. Where that is stored depends on your email service provider. In GMail it moves the email to the All Email folder. You can see this if you tap the mailbox button to see all inboxes and accounts, then choose the GMail account at the bottom (not the inbox).

I have this turned off in my GMail account. I don't find it useful. Instead I created some folders using the Google web site mail client (called labels there), then use the folder icon in Mail to move files I want saved into those folder. Still stored on the sever, but easily accessible on the iPad with better organization.

The archive feature is't available if you use the Exchange method to set up your GMail anyway, and I almost always have my GMail set up that way, except when I'm testing the differences between the accounts.

been wondering about this too. thanks sir!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just happened to notice the text under the the Archive Messages switch, or I'd have no idea either. GMail (the standard account) is the only account I have that shows the option.

Most reactions

Latest posts