What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Reports Record-Breaking March Revenue Alongside First Fall in Profits in Decade

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
4th_gen_iPad.JPG

Apple has today released its second-quarter results, and there’s both good and bad news for the company, according to AppleInsider. Starting off with the bad news, Apple reported that its second-quarter profits fell by 18% to $9.5 billion from $11.6 billion in the year-ago-quarter, on sales of $43.6 billion, the first fall in profits for Apple for nearly 10 years. On the up side, that revenue figure is up from $39.2 billion in the year-ago-quarter. Apple said that it sold 37.4 million iPhones, and 19.5 million iPads in the quarter, as well as 4 million Macs. Both iPhone and iPad sales have increased, up from $35.1 billion and 11.8 million respectively in the year-ago-quarter, with the Mac sales figure staying still at 4 million previously as well.

[FONT=&amp]
“We are pleased to report record March quarter revenue thanks to continued strong performance of iPhone and iPad,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services and we are very excited about the products in our pipeline.”

“Our cash generation remains very strong, with $12.5 billion in cash flow from operations during the quarter and an ending cash balance of $145 billion,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO.

Apple also published the following guidance for the fiscal 2013 third quarter:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&amp]revenue between $33.5 billion and $35.5 billion[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]gross margin between 36 percent and 37 percent[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]operating expenses between $3.85 billion and $3.95 billion[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]other income/(expense) of $300 million[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]tax rate of 26%[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Apple beats on revenue but sees profits fall for first time in nearly a decade, Apple

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still almost ten billion in profit. Not exactly a crisis or anything. Although I'm sure that just ruffled the suit of some hedge fund manager somewhere who will demand they move operations to a more downtrodden area with even cheaper labor. :D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate the very unrealistic expectations that are placed on companies by investors, talking heads, and consumers. What Apple has done has been truly amazing. However, it cannot and will not last forever. I think they have had their time in the sun, frankly. They will wane. They will not be so profitbable in the future. Does this spell doom for them? And why are we acting like it is some big deal? What gets me is all the doom and gloom talk we are hearing and will continue to hear over the next few years. I think people love to talk doom and gloom. :)

I have to also admit that I don't see anyone else taking its role. It's not Google, Samsung, MS (most certainly not), or any of the others. I think the true next big thing will come from someone we don't yet know about. And the true next big thing is not something that gets dialed up on demand. It just happens when it happens.

BTW, I'm bored with hearing about new phones...and new tablets. We need something new to talk about! :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate the very unrealistic expectations that are placed on companies by investors, talking heads, and consumers. What Apple has done has been truly amazing. However, it cannot and will not last forever. I think they have had their time in the sun, frankly. They will wane. They will not be so profitbable in the future. Does this spell doom for them? And why are we acting like it is some big deal? What gets me is all the doom and gloom talk we are hearing and will continue to hear over the next few years. I think people love to talk doom and gloom. :)

I have to also admit that I don't see anyone else taking its role. It's not Google, Samsung, MS (most certainly not), or any of the others. I think the true next big thing will come from someone we don't yet know about. And the true next big thing is not something that gets dialed up on demand. It just happens when it happens.

BTW, I'm bored with hearing about new phones...and new tablets. We need something new to talk about! :)

Right on. The expectations are pretty absurd. It puts undue stress on just about everyone involved and for no good reason. How much money is enough for investors? They can always pull out and go invest somewhere else if they don't like it.....right? I swear, I wish ever company were privately owned so you take grumpy investors right out of it. Yeah, capital is nice to have for growth but now you are slaves to the stock ticker. And, employees & investors have quite the conflict of interest. IMO, investors have caused more job losses than any other force out there these days. They are the root cause of much misery in the corporate world.

Apple is doing fine. Period. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts