What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple newbe

Donlogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad is my first Apple product and even as an IBM retiree (36 years), I'm pretty impressed. I also have an IBM Thinkpad but I'm spending most of my online time (a lot less now) using the Ipad. I tried the Nook for reading but after the Thinkpad and a DroidX phone, I found it very limited and, without a true touchscreen, it seemed like very old technology. My only frustration so far is that I can't connect my DroidX to the Ipad using the Photo Adapter. Appaently it draws too much power and the Ipad rejects it as a valid camera device. It even screwed up my SD card in the DroidX but a reboot of the phone restored access to my pictures (whew!). Otherwise, this is really fun!
Thanks,
PapaDon

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Retired IBM!

You worked for a company that had so many traditions! I work for the new IBM that is so different today. If it wasn't for its buildings, you wouldn't recognize it.

There have been times when I slip and call my iPad a 'think pad'. Welcome to the forum.

OP
D

Donlogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt,
Actually, I only left IBM at the end of last year and have seen most of the changes to which you refer. I have no complaints and was fortunate to have a long and successful career with one company; something you don't find very often these days. I wish you all the best in your (new) IBM career! If I can be of any help to you in that regard, I'm willing to try...

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Donlogon

Thanks for your response. So you are newly retired! I don't have many more years before I retire. I got into IBM because the bank I worked for outsourced it's entire IT infrastructure--from mainframe support, development, programming all the way to enduser support to IBM.

I have been engaged in five different projects since then as a project manager, delivery manager, and project executive. My current assignment has me working with a couple of utilities in Indiana. I was going to start working with the State of Indiana, but the company and the state decided to disengage last year.

That's probably more than you wanted to know! My iPad is a completely personal device--I bought it and I support it. But once in awhile, I find work requirements intruding. Last weekend, I was out in the field (literally a cornfield) shooting a decrepit, falling down old barn, when I got a text from a client, asking me to look into a project change order and would I mind looking at the prospectus and help her find fault in any of her logic. I told her to email me a word doc, I picked it up in my email from my iPad, read the request and was able to get her a reply in about 30 minutes--which I get to bill!

Most reactions

Latest posts