What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is no longer the cool kid on the block.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple is no longer seen as the coolest player in the hi-tech market. Although they were unable or unwilling to name a successor, the WSJ believes that Apples falling share price is indicative of the fact that no new products are coming out of Cupertino.

http://live.wsj.com/video/got-a-dam...tboleft#!0B2CB422-144D-403E-816E-1700E5C20D4C

Apparently the iPhone 5, iPad 3, new MBPs and rumors of an iPad mini are (yawn) more of the same, and Apple has lost the competitive edge.

For some reason, I can't link directly to the video on the WSJ website. If you want to take a look, it's the one asking the question "Has Apple lost it?"

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lets hope that they jump on the iwatch now that they have done away with the watch-like nano.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be fair, everything is about the same nowadays for all companies and products. Cars, phone, tablets, computers, it's all just upgraded interiors and redesigned exteriors. Nothing revolutionary is coming out of anywhere anymore... For now...

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple is no longer seen as the coolest player in the hi-tech market. Although they were unable or unwilling to name a successor, the WSJ believes that Apples falling share price is indicative of the fact that no new products are coming out of Cupertino.

http://live.wsj.com/video/got-a-damaged-iphone-youre-not-alone/7F377A01-09DC-4B3A-972F-5B28F15B3050.html?mod=wsj_blog_tboleft#!0B2CB422-144D-403E-816E-1700E5C20D4C

Apparently the iPhone 5, iPad 3, new MBPs and rumors of an iPad mini are (yawn) more of the same, and Apple has lost the competitive edge.

For some reason, I can't link directly to the video on the WSJ website. If you want to take a look, it's the one asking the question "Has Apple lost it?"

I suspect the video is subscription content.
WSJ is a riot. It cheered Apple's stock to it's dizzying heights and now it's first in line with the axe.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I won't say apple lost it. But to be really impartial and if I give my opinion as a total neutral it seems the creativity has gone down a bit.IMO
iPad 3-nothing new compared to the ipad2 except for the screen.and that's not tempting enough for an average user like me to upgrade from iPad 2 .when compared to the improvement from iPad 1 to 2 the change from 2-3 was really underwhelming.

iPhone 5 /4s - many people were really disappointed with 4s .and 5 didn't bring any out of the world changes.
So the recent products from apple are nothing revolutionary but just solid products. It's nothing like the iPhone 4 or the iPad 2 which awed us with cutting edge technology and totally new designs.
And iOS 6 -well what's the change?facebook integration? That should have happend last time. And maps?-better not to talk about it now.
Compared to the improvements other operating systems are making like android jelly bean and windows 8 I will say its just ok...that's all

Yeah u can defend it by saying the products will sell well ...but I'm not talking about a person who will rush to an apple store regardless of the product.i like to analyse all the tech stuff and os and for me it seems apple is getting a bit complacent.
I don't know may be Steve jobs influence was so great that apple came up with such revolutionary products during his time and now it's just upgrades.

The picture is almost same like Nokia just before iPhone ...undisputed leader with n95 which was the peak of their creativity(which at the time was a great stuff) but got complacent and refused to change according to time and see where they are now?

Others are upping their game...it seems Samsung finally tried to do something on their own with products like note and Nokia it seems finally back on track ...the 920 lumia caught my interest...
So unless apple takes note of the changes going around history will repeat...well everyone targets the leader and it's tough to stay as leader...if u get complacent there is only one way ...down

Last edited:

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be fair, everything is about the same nowadays for all companies and products. Cars, phone, tablets, computers, it's all just upgraded interiors and redesigned exteriors. Nothing revolutionary is coming out of anywhere anymore... For now...
Quite true technology is pretty even across the board the BIGGEST AND MAIN DIFFERENCE is how your. Treated in a retail store,
Online, on the phone etc etc.
I recently had an absolute perfect cust issue with Office Depot. So they now got me for life!!!!!!!!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You simply cannot dial up "revolutionary" type innovation at will. These things happen when they happen. It may or may not come from Apple. I think it is unrealistical to think that Apple will always be the company that produces jaw-dropping type products, over and over and over and over.

I think the new lightning connector is really nice. That is incremental but being able to insert the cable either way is a big plus. When is the last time we start that kind of thing outside of simple stereo and older video connectors (component, composite, etc) that use coax? Right now, hdmi, various usb, vga, firewire, display port, etc., all require a particular orientation/alignment for the connector. This one doesn't. Yes, we have to eventually get new cables, but I think this is a big deal and makes using devices a lot simplier, yet Apple doesn't seem to be getting any credit for it. When you think about how many times a single person makes a connection to his/her device, it will be simpler to do each time. Multiple that by millions of people and what you get is a huge impact.

Last edited:

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I'm not saying apple should launch revolutionary device one after another...what I'm saying is they are slowly but surely falling behind competition and the record breaking sales is hiding that for now.
When ip4 was launched it was acclaimed the undisputed best smartphone on market in every sense.but later the galaxy s2 and s3 has taken that acclaim.im talking about general consensus among tech sites ranking smartphones.
The iPhone 4s was ranked behind the s2 in many popular tech sites.

And another thing is the way the rivals upgrade their flagships...
S2-S3 it was a worthwhile upgrade with screen ,display,processing power,software features and every thing else.
But same cant be said of ip4-4s or 4s-5.same with htc one x.
Apple is making just bare minimum incremental upgrades to the iPhone.

And iOS was once the most advanced platform in mobile world.but let me say a small example.
I had to fill up a form for an application and I had to upload a picture of mine for it.
I have this iPad and there was no way of getting a pic to that site using my iPad .i had to first sync it with my pc using iTunes to get the pic inside my iPad.well it's better to use a pc then!!!
My friend had a g.note with him he used the USB otg and put a pen drive into the phone transferred the pic and filled up the form using his phone.
What im saying is inspite of all processing power u can't use ur iOS device sometimes for even most simple of the tasks...
And android has improved at an amazing pace and u can do almost anything with a high end device unless the most complicated of tasks which will need a very good pc.
The iPad and iPhone still can't be considered a standalone device in many sense .
The advantage of ios was its smoothness but with latest reviews it says jelly bean is as smooth as ios...and well it offers more functionality.and with the high processing power the high end devices which competes with iPhone are as smooth for sometime.

What I'm saying is that apple doesn't have to produce ground breaking innovation every year.but they should take care not to fall behind functionalty and features compared to rival platforms.
Giants don't fall overnight.its a slow process and they don't realise they are falling till the end.
RIM and Nokia and great examples of that.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't expect any company to keep pioneering indefinitely, especially one driven by someone like Steve Jobs, who had such a unique blend of vision, design and salesmanship.

At this point, most of my cell phone and tablet needs have been met by a combination of devices. I can afford new gadgets, but don't see compelling needs. As I buy more, I expect it will be to keep current functions (as devices become obsolete) and gain incremental improvements.

For me, it was huge when Apple finally delivered a usable tablet in the form of iPad 1, because I'd wanted one for years. Everything since has been incremental improvement to me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS will never be Android. Apple is not even interested in that.

And frankly, I'd take an iPhone 5 over a 4S any day, but I'm not dumping a phone in the same year I got it. It's not worth spending another $900 for that.

If the yardstick is simply how much of a PC one can get into my smartphone, then the game is already over.

Apple set the yardstick on most of the stuff out there now, smartphones, laptops, and music players, and tablets. The rest of the industry has been following, while adding tweaks.

Apple would certainly do better to put its attention on setting the trends rather than following. But this kind of thing isn't done on demand. SJ has passed. There may not be a dreamer to envision really new devices. If not, than Apple's time will have come and it will fade. That is the way of things. But I'd rather see them just fade than to play the "me too" game.

BTW, that example you gave is totally doable on an iPad with iOS6. And I never need to sync to iTunes to get pics to my iPad.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW, that example you gave is totally doable on an iPad with iOS6. And I never need to sync to iTunes to get pics to my iPad.

Can u pls share how is that doable bcoz it will be really helpful for me as I will have to fill up some more applications soon.
The situation was this ...I went to a studio took a photo and transferred it to a pen drive .
How can I upload the photo directly via iPad to the site from the pen drive.
If ur meaning Dropbox and other sync methods that will still need a pc.im not meaning that ...
Is there a direct way like USB otg to transfer the pic from pen drive to iPad or to the site via iPad with no involvement of a pc?
In such emergency situations where u have just your iPad and a pen drive and u have to do something like that is there anyway?

Last edited:

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:

Watch this space have a look on YouTube for flexible screens or Nokia prototype phone, Nokia have a few prototypes already. The flexi screen gives new controls also allowing you to literally twist the phone and it's able to make selections like skipping music tracks etc. they are supposedly unbreakable and I must say its all pretty impressive technology. Some reports say 2013???

Attachments

• image-4144844663.jpg
    image-4144844663.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 552

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watch this space have a look on YouTube for flexible screens or Nokia prototype phone, Nokia have a few prototypes already. The flexi screen gives new controls also allowing you to literally twist the phone and it's able to make selections like skipping music tracks etc. they are supposedly unbreakable and I must say its all pretty impressive technology. Some reports say 2013???

Nokia isn't the only one with such prototypes. There are many floating around. But I look at tech prototypes like concept cars -- I'll believe it when they're actually delivered and sold.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well Nokia had such amazing concepts over the years...but that's it they just remained as concepts...if u look at the history of that company u will wonder how could a tech giant like them f***k up so many amazing ideas.
I recently read an article about the "untold story of meego/n9. That article alone shows why Nokia is in a place it is now.

Most reactions

Latest posts