What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Announces iOS 9 at WWDC, Here are its Main New Features

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-ios9-jpg.19758

Just as it was pretty much expected and as we have reported so many times before, Apple has announced during its WWDC conference the next version of its mobile operating system - iOS 9. The software gets updated with a smarter digital assistant and split-screen multitasking. Here's a breakdown of some of the most important new features that it brings:
  • Major upgrade to the Siri virtual assistant - Siri now has a feature called Proactive that can offer app suggestions and more based on context such as time of day or location
  • Deep linking within Spotlight searches, allowing users to access content within apps whenever they perform a system-wide search
  • Apple Pay gains support for store credit cards and loyalty cards.
  • The Passbook app gets rebranded into Wallet, which integrates credit cards, debit cards, store cards, and loyalty cards in one place
  • Notes app is getting some new features, such as image insertion, checklists, and sketches
  • Maps app is getting support for transit directions
  • Apple introduces new Flipboard-like News app
  • New power-user features designed specifically for the iPad - on-screen keyboard with shortcuts for cut, copy, paste, and more, as well as a new mode that turns the keyboard into a trackpad. There's also a new multitasking mode for the iPad and you can also run two apps side-by-side at the same time
  • iOS 9 is more efficient and smaller than ever, requiring only 1.8GB of free space to install, much less than the 4.6GB iOS 8 needed.
  • iOS 9 comes with a new "low power mode" that can squeeze another three hours of battery life out of a single charge
  • Upgrades to Apple's HomeKit and CarPlay services, with more devices and cars gaining support
Source: Apple

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just as it was pretty much expected and as we have reported so many times before, Apple has announced
during its WWDC conference the next version of its mobile operating system - iOS 9. The software gets updated with a smarter digital assistant and split-screen multitasking. Here's a breakdown of some of the most important new features that it brings:​
  • Major upgrade to the Siri virtual assistant - Siri now has a feature called Proactive that can offer app suggestions and more based on context such as time of day or location
  • Deep linking within Spotlight searches, allowing users to access content within apps whenever they perform a system-wide search
  • Apple Pay gains support for store credit cards and loyalty cards.
  • The Passbook app gets rebranded into Wallet, which integrates credit cards, debit cards, store cards, and loyalty cards in one place
  • Notes app is getting some new features, such as image insertion, checklists, and sketches
  • Maps app is getting support for transit directions
  • Apple introduces new Flipboard-like News app
  • New power-user features designed specifically for the iPad - on-screen keyboard with shortcuts for cut, copy, paste, and more, as well as a new mode that turns the keyboard into a trackpad. There's also a new multitasking mode for the iPad and you can also run two apps side-by-side at the same time
  • iOS 9 is more efficient and smaller than ever, requiring only 1.8GB of free space to install, much less than the 4.6GB iOS 8 needed.
  • iOS 9 comes with a new "low power mode" that can squeeze another three hours of battery life out of a single charge
  • Upgrades to Apple's HomeKit and CarPlay services, with more devices and cars gaining support.
At 1PM, I watched the entire 2-hour or so presentation and was impressed w/ a number of the upcoming features - in bold above are two in particular, I am looking forward to using: 1) Apple Pay is really expanding; and 2) Multitasking is a cool reality - despite stating that iOS 9 can be installed on an iPad 2, I'm not sure that the hardware will support this side-by-side feature of running two apps simultaneously - will see? Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At 1PM, I watched the entire 2-hour or so presentation and was impressed w/ a number of the upcoming features - in bold above are two in particular, I am looking forward to using: 1) Apple Pay is really expanding; and 2) Multitasking is a cool reality - despite stating that iOS 9 can be installed on an iPad 2, I'm not sure that the hardware will support this side-by-side feature of running two apps simultaneously - will see? Dave :)

Slideover will only work on the iPad Air, Mini 2, or newer. Split view will only work on the iPad Air 2.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finally spotlight became useful!

Now if only I can install a module of this in my android phone.

Also didn't notes app already had image insertion in iOS 8?

Most reactions

Latest posts