1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

App to access SQL Server 2008 R2 data

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by trevorjeaton, Sep 17, 2010.

1. trevorjeaton

trevorjeaton iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

I am BRAND new to app programming but am hoping for a nudge in the right direction. I have a SQL Server 2008 r2 database that an existing (non-ipad) application is accessing and filling and pulling data from - its a .net app actually. My client would like to use the ipad to consume and display but not create data for this database.

Is it possible? and if so, where should i begin formulating a strategy? From what i have seen so far, i'm reading that xml and json type access to the data is the way to go - have any others in here successfully pulled and displayed data from a sql server into a native ipad app?

thanks in advance everyone.
  2. agentty

agentty iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How did it go?

I am also interested in developing an iPhone/iPad App, and your question caught my eye because our starting points are very similar. I am a ASP.Net C# developer, with a website developed in that platform and using VS2008 as a database.

So did you ever get an answer to your question about SQLServer as a datasource? It seems to me the XML feed is probably the way to go.

I am absolutely terrified of the cost of having my app developed, but I doubt I can find the time to retrain myself in a whole new language again. So I'm looking at some of the DIY services, but I'm not yet convinced I can get the functionality I want from them.

Anyways, I hope you got your answers and your app is a big success.

Cheers