What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to solve my iPad lagging/crashing

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, first of all I own a 64 GB wifi only iPad. It's jail broken and I filled it with apps and some movies and now it's at 59 GB. I have only 5 books in my iBooks library and I use the Youtube app often to download some videos. However lately when downloading a video and launching it the iPad crash and it takes about 4 minutes for it to recover back. and the video's I downloaded get removed for some reason (I think it's like recovery mode). And it's been lagging alot and Apps are crashing very often. And some time it reboot for no reason. I think it's a really bad situation however I don't want to format it. Is is the cydia apps that are causing this or the large amount of storage I have is causing this?

Please if you have any useful info/advice share it with me.:)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd try deleting some stuff first. Don't know if iOS uses some form of swap file but wouldn't be surprised given the limited ram.

Sonia_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same issue. Pressing the off button for time something like 10s or until it asks if you want to turn the ipad off seems to solve the issue. It probably does a reset of the memory buffer.
Good luck.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's easy.
Restore to original factory settings and keep away from jailbreaking.
Apple do have their reasons for restricting what an App can (and should) do,

Or, if you want to keep the JB, you might have to live with it.

In case you want to find out the cause of the problems, you might want to check the system-logs. Here, you will most likely see what caused the crash.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your video chip shares the system memory with the cpu and sometimes when an app is graphically demanding it will crash.
Try and find an app that will free up some of your memory before running video apps. Basically what the reset above does.
I use one on non j/b machines and it works fine, so you should be able to find one on one of the j/b sites.

Reaction score
iPF crashed fairly often, alongside other apps.

I am guessing that iPF crashes around 10 times a day, flipboard reaches similar rates. This isn't normal, is it?

This is also on jb, the only Cydia apps are MyWi, manualcorrect and XBMC.

Once 4.3 comes out, I will definitely install 4.3 to see, if it provides more stability.

Most reactions