1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Another Case thread !

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by rwilts, May 9, 2010.

1. rwilts

rwilts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know there are plenty on here but tomorrow is the day:D UK pre order...

What i am after is a case similar in style to the official Ipad case that will accept an Ipad in a Gel Skin (as sold by a supplier here).

I like the apple case for protection and travel but would prefer to use the Ipad without it but in the skin.

I know the Apple case wont do this so does anyone know of another option before i drop the dime as you Americans say tomorrow?

Ta
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I'll be wanting a thick, beefy, rugged thing.

Yea for Europe!
  3. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    We haven't said that in fifty years, innit? :D
  4. rwilts

rwilts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    O

Having done some research i find that Drop a Dime means

To snitch on someone. Often, to save their own ass. Comes from the old cost for a payphone call, ten cents.

So not what i had in mind at all!!

Off for some Tea and Cucumber sandwiches...
  5. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I got my iPad 3G on launch day and have still not been able to locate a leather case for it that flips open and can be used while still inside the case.

Petty much all ipad cases have been sold out here where I am. For now im using a $9 Microsoft Netbook case that has good padding just for when im carrying it around.
  6. thewizardofaz

thewizardofaz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will we have to use the iPad outside the case? I'd think heat buildup will be an issue if we don't. Hopefully there will be no overheating like when the Macbook was new. I had it repaired twice, two keyboards and two mother boards, two fans and no cooling paste. I better not jinx it.
  7. rwilts

rwilts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Went for the Apple case today with pre order. Another £25 on top of £600 seemed a no brainer:eek:
  8. cimousa

cimousa Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Check out our thread in the 'Cimo Technologies' section of the forum. We also have another Pink Leather Case. Check them out!

9. write-stuff

write-stuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Plenty of cases for carrying the thing around. What I want is one that makes it easier to hold while I watch movies. My arm and neck are getting really tired!
  10. dafuser

dafuser iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered a HardCandy Street Skin for my iPad last week.

Hard Candy Cases - iPad Cases - Street Skin

It was delivered today and I'm very happy with it. It has a good textured back which makes it very easy to hold, it's not at all slippery like a naked iPad.
    It has a removable screen protector for use when you're not using your iPad.

You can remove the screen protector and put it on the back of the iPad where it can be snapped onto the back of the case when you're using your iPad. At home I just leave the screen protector off and in my office.

I like it better then the Apple case which I also have. The Apple case seems to be a dirt /dust magnet.
  11. dancing bird

dancing bird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hardshell case with frosted surface

Hey Numblock, this one KINROO Electronics Co.,Ltd.

is suitable for your market. Please have a check here.
  12. write-stuff

write-stuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jeeze, dancing bird, give it a break. EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts so far has been a plug for your product. We get the message. You can leave now.
  13. zman

zman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0

[​IMG]
    I like it :)

Do you have a picture of the removable screen protector? Also, how thick does the iPad get when this is installed? 1.5x? Double?
  14. dafuser

dafuser iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The iPad is only a little thicker then it is without a case, the cover is very thin, you can see thru it. It's designed to hook tot he corners of the case and sits flush with the case when installed

[​IMG]

Here's the case with the cover next to it, you can see thru the cover because it's very thin

[​IMG]
  15. zman

zman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    ^^^^

Sweet! :) Thanks for indulging my request.
  16. DavidNM

DavidNM iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just received the Mareware Eco-View case yesterday. I wanted something that worked like the Apple case but not as flimsy. So far I like it a lot. My iPad fits well and the case appears sturdy and sound. The typing stand is very good with no issues.

The only concern I have is that the flap that tucks the unit into the case looks like it could come out if you turn the unit upside down and shake - although I haven't tested. I might put some very thin velcro on the back of the tab for support.

When I first bought my iPad I thought I would only want to carry / hold it without any major case - perhaps just a skin. But I think I'm re-thinking that preference as I actually like the extra book-like bulk of this case. It does appear to do a good job protecting the screen - which is good since I've decided against a screen protector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. write-stuff

write-stuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That one looks pretty good, David. I guess you can prop it up in your lap using the flap?
  18. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My 3G came out of the box and immediately into the apple case on 4/30 launch day and hasn't been taken out since. Absolutely no heating issues at all. I don't know how apple did it but it runs for hours in the case and it doesn't even feel warm.
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  19. largefarva

largefarva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll have to second everything David said about the Eco Vue from Marware. I've had mine for a week or two, and couldn't be happier with it.

Btw I just did the shake test....and yeah the little leather flap won't hold your iPad in if shaken. The Velcro idea is a good idea. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow.
  20. DavidNM

DavidNM iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I have a solution. I tried the velcro - slide both sides of a velcro connection behind the top of the unit - it made it stick out too far - I'm afraid it might cause some damage. So I thought about putting some Velcro at the bottom - cut thin 1/4" strips. Then it hit me - I pulled out a roll of Scotch double sided tape - drew a 1 1/2 inch strip and attached it to the side of the strap that sits against the back of my iPad. Passes the upside down shake test and feels quite firm.

The way I figure it - I took my iPad out of my Apple case about once every 3 days to do a complete screen cleaning - when I do the same for the Mareware case, if I need a new piece of tape I'll get one.

If anyone figures out a better solution let us know [​IMG]