What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloha I am new here we just moved from our home of 35 yrs. In Hawai'i on the big island.

Islandantoinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aloha I am new here we just moved from our home of 35 yrs. In Hawai'i on the big island to the mainland because The lava is taking out our town and house. Here is what is left of where my husband worked just a year ago. So we live in Florida now. All very new and interesting indeed. I Am a retired RN and my husband is a retired Fed. Contracting Officer. It has been over a year that I have had my iPad 4 retina and I still know nothing about it. I have always been a very good P C and Android user. Ispend days and weeks trying to learn one thing and never get it done, very frustrating indeed. Age 60 today is NOV. 23, 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aloha I am new here we just moved from our home of 35 yrs. In Hawai'i on the big island to the mainland because The lava is taking out our town and house. Here is what is left of where my husband worked just a year ago. So we live in Florida now. All very new and interesting indeed. I Am a retired RN and my husband is a retired Fed. Contracting Officer. It has been over a year that I have had my iPad 4 retina and I still know nothing about it. I have always been a very good P C and Android user. Ispend days and weeks trying to learn one thing and never get it done, very frustrating indeed. Age 60 today is NOV. 23, 2014
View attachment 61362 View attachment 61363 View attachment 61364
Welcome to iPad Forums, Islandantoinett! That's an awful way to lose your home and town. If you have any questions about any aspect of using your iPad, many of our worldwide membership of over 300,000 volunteer their time to answer questions from their fellow members.

OP
Islandantoinette

Islandantoinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aloha Scifan: Mahalo yes one must learn to go forward in life. We had paid on our house for 15 yrs. We are renting now. And have our things in storage in COLORADO we hope to be able to save enough in a year to go get them out of storage there. Meanwhile as my husband says I Have plenty of time to learn how to use this.
I had figured out HOW TO SPEAK into this once a year ago to have it type in my emails for me. But Darned if I did not forget! And after 3 days now of trying to figure it out I can't. I also can't figure out how to make my "desktop" screen (the one with the stars on it) LOOK like this with the menu info ! It says Apple Menu I don't even know how to find or get to the apple Menu! As my desktop does NOT look like this picture. Or any of the other TEXT ACROSS the TOP of this screen. Or can this not be done on an iPad 4 and it is some other "model". Thank You.
image.jpg
Antoinette

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That screenshot is from a Mac computer on OSX, not from an iPad. Here is a screenshot of this page, showing the toolbar at the top of the page.
image.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aloha Scifan: Mahalo yes one must learn to go forward in life. We had paid on our house for 15 yrs. We are renting now. And have our things in storage in COLORADO we hope to be able to save enough in a year to go get them out of storage there. Meanwhile as my husband says I Have plenty of time to learn how to use this.
I had figured out HOW TO SPEAK into this once a year ago to have it type in my emails for me. But Darned if I did not forget! And after 3 days now of trying to figure it out I can't. I also can't figure out how to make my "desktop" screen (the one with the stars on it) LOOK like this with the menu info ! It says Apple Menu I don't even know how to find or get to the apple Menu! As my desktop does NOT look like this picture. Or any of the other TEXT ACROSS the TOP of this screen. Or can this not be done on an iPad 4 and it is some other "model". Thank You. View attachment 61369 Antoinette
If you go to Settings>General>Keyboards>Enable Dictation and turn it on, you'll see a microphone appear on your keyboard next to the left side of the space bar. If you tap it when you're in a text entry field you can speak and the dictation feature wil convert it to writing. Here's a screenshot showing the enable dictation switch.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts