1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Adding a font to ipad ios 5.0.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by Fid, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Fid

Fid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    S it possible to add a font to the iOS 5.0.1 by editing the CGFontCache.plist file. There is a bit more to it than just editing the plist. It was available in a previous version of its on the iPhone. I would like to be able to type in the Disney font and use it for the UndockedIconLabelStyle in a theme.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Fid, you should install BytaFont from Cydia. It is the equivalent of Winterboard for Fonts. There are lots of BytaFont font packages in Cydia too, so hopefully you'll find Disney or something close...

It is possible to slipstream TTF fonts into a Theme (but not as you suggested), but that is a bit more complex and would need a good bit of effort. I"m afraid we don't have a guide on anything near that... Sorry.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. Fid

Fid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Thanks f4780y. With bytafont I'm not able to apply a font to only the docked apps that I can find. I'd like to be able to not globally apply fonts. If it can be done in bytafont let me know.
    I read some tutorials about adding fonts from a windows machine or from downloads and adding them to a MyFonts folder inside the fonts/cache. Then editing the font cache plist and respring to get the font to work with iiOS. I don't know if this is going to work with iOS 5 and above. It will be fun to find out. If it works i'll write a tutorial. I hope to not forget to backup my plist before I monkey with it.
    Thanks again.

4. Fid

Fid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Crang! Hit a wall. The font I downloaded ended up being a .ttf instead of .ttc. I'll have to do one of the conversion programs to fix the problem.
    I did find and interesting thing when editing the plist file. When I pressed Save it said there was an error, and on what line. I had overwritten one of the lines that needed to be for one of the existing fonts. I retyped that line and hit save. Before I hit respring I re-opened the file and could not find the lines I'd added. I searched through the file and found that the lines had been placed in alphabetically. Shocking, or surprising.
    After holding my breath and hitting respring the iPad didn't have any problem coming back to life. I was thinking I might have trouble if there were no fonts associated because of a messed up plist file. I did have a backup in the same folder, but if I can't get to the folder the point is moot.