What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 year old girl gets psychiatric treatment for iPad addiction

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I was there they went to school 6 days a week. They do take to technology, but also take to learning so they use the tech for fun and work.

Japanese kids go through a horrible academic life that includes cram school, pressure to fit into molds so they fit into corporate culture, which often determines who the can marry and what type of future they can have, which drives a high rate of kids to suicide.

Every culture has strengths and weaknesses in eduction. We should learn from each other. America has some of the best universities in the world, for instance.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I was there they went to school 6 days a week. They do take to technology, but also take to learning so they use the tech for fun and work.

Hmm, can't edit this

image-2589433186.jpg

When my sister lived there she had to send my niece and nephew back to live with my parents because they were too American. No they didn't say that, but did say they were too disruptive, questioning teachers and not accepting authority simply because it was implied. Some times a result is not so easy to find a causal connection for

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Japanese kids go through a horrible academic life that includes cram school, pressure to fit into molds so they fit into corporate culture, which often determines who the can marry and what type of future they can have, which drives a high rate of kids to suicide.

Every culture has strengths and weaknesses in eduction. We should learn from each other. America has some of the best universities in the world, for instance.

I wish I saw this before my second post, it sums my thoughts up exactly, thanks for pulling this out of my head from long distance without leaving scarring. ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, can't edit this

View attachment 40462

When my sister lived there she had to send my niece and nephew back to live with my parents because they were too American. No they didn't say that, but did say they were too disruptive, questioning teachers and not accepting authority simply because it was implied. Some times a result is not so easy to find a causal connection for

When visiting other people's culture, it's the role of guests to fit it. In Japanese culture, like many Asian cultures, teachers are authority figures to be respected. There's good and bad to that. American kids can be highly disrespectful to teachers, in ways that are disruptive. But Western kids are encouraged to think more freely, and there's benefit to that, too. Again, balance is key.

Yes, this thread is in a section that can't be edited, which is annoying.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm glad I saw this. Preaching to the choir, though. We (as iPF members) do learn from each other. You'll get no argument from me about that particular ideal.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts