What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G Router?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Verizon USB760 stick that I use for my laptop when on the road in my rv. Is there a wireless router that I can plug it into that will allow me to connect to the internet with my iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting idea. I could use internet sharing on a Mac to do this. At least Im pretty sure I could, since I'm doing something similar now. Windows probably has a similar internet connection sharing ability, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Essentially your laptop would become a wireless router, sharing the USB port's internet connection.

No idea if there is a wifi router that would accept a USB internet device, but I strongly doubt it. Those devices almost always require extra software to be loaded on the computer that uses them.

Another idea is checking in at your Verizon store and see what it would cost to upgrade your USB Dongle to a MiFi hotspot. You'd have to pay for the new gadget, but the plan's price should stay the same.

Last edited:

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon USB760 stick that I use for my laptop when on the road in my rv. Is there a wireless router that I can plug it into that will allow me to connect to the internet with my iPad?

One of these will work:
Mobile Users | Cradlepoint Technology

I have used the PHS300 and own the CTR500. Both work very good and you can the CTR500 a number of different ways.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks. I will first try the "freebie" via Windows and if that doesn't work will shell out the money for one of the mobile routers.

This is a great forum---to be able to get solutions so quickly!

All the best---.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

One of these will work:

I have used the PHS300 and own the CTR500. Both work very good and you can the CTR500 a number of different ways.

Well, after checking the web page you provided the link for, I see that the USB760 is not a supported modem for either of the routers you mention. Alas!

Pluto5680

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an AT&T aircard (USB) and a few weeks ago got a ZOOM wireless router. Plug aircard in rear of router, and I can use my IPAD with it. The ZOOM is a 3G router. One app will not allow me to download pictures on 3G netwwork, IPAD says I need wifi, but it works with the ZOOM. The router is small and idiot proof. No software to download, no numbers to type in. Brought from Amazom.com, reasonable in price. I can use the aircard/wifi with laptop and IPAD, and can print wifi from laptop to wifi enabled printer.

leneo34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
z3olyte.com
I wish I knew this sooner... I'm using a Linksys router so I connect my laptop and ipad wirelessly to it from another room.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score

One of these will work:

Well, after checking the web page you provided the link for, I see that the USB760 is not a supported modem for either of the routers you mention. Alas!

Not sure which page/device you were looking at but I clicked on the link, then clicked on the "Product Info" link for the CTR500. Clicking on "supported devices" and scrolling down to Verizon I find:

Novatel Ovation MC760 (Verizon USB760)

If I am not mistaken, that is the device you asked about in your original post.

Doing the same steps for the PHS300 shows me the exact same device listed.

tuuMtnU

Did you actually look for your modem?

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So sorry, Rsava, it was a senior moment! Yes, I did look for the device, but my home service is AT&T and I just purchased the Verizon stick---so, you guessed it---I looked under the former.

And I appreciate your posting to correct me.

Again, thanks for the info.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you found it. Sorry if I was a bit snippy, long night not much sleep.

The laptop solution is definitely an option but the router gives you some options you don't have with the laptop.
Depending on your reception you might need to put the wireless router in a spot that wouldn't be a very good spot to put a laptop. With the laptop you need to fire up your laptop to use it, with the router, you can turn on the router and your iPad in 30 seconds.
And finally, on the CTR500, the ethernet port is in or out - you can hook your laptop to it for a wired connection or you can hook an incoming internet connection to it and use it as a regular access point.
I have used that unit with a switch to run an booth of 5 computers at a tradeshow one time with no hiccups at all. Just some thoughts on the benefits of using the router vs the laptop.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just ordered the CTR500 from Amazon.com for about 150 bucks. I will post my reactions when it arrives and I have had a chance to test it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts