What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10” faster than 12”?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
should the smaller ipad pro be faster than the larger one, simply because it has a smaller screen to maintain?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Speed would be based on the processor, not the size of the screen.

Kind of true, but a higher resolution screen does require more processing power to keep updated. This is more of a drain on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) than the CPU, but it can slow things down for graphics intensive apps.

So yes, given the same processors clocked at the same speeds, a higher resolution screen will impact the overall performance; but the processors for the iPad Pros are plenty powerful (for this class of device). You would only see significant slowdowns (due to screen resolution) if the processors were underpowered.

Note: That’s a higher resolution screen, not simply a larger screen. It’s a matter of how many pixles need to be driven, and the 12.9 inch iPad Pro does have a few more pixles than the smaller Pros.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd probably see a difference only in extreme circumstances then, as the iPad Pro models have much better graphics processing capability than the regular iPad line.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok..I saw a thing online couple days ago wherein the 12.9 benchmarked a goodly chunk lower than the 10.5, and I thought “er??”

makes sense..wouldn’t stop me getting the larger and higher-rez 12.9. it wasn’t half as fast on certain tasks but that there was even a difference kinda shocked me

Most reactions

Latest posts