What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can multitasking and play music in the background (without iTunes) using Safari

DaveC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks. New to the forum. This looks like a great place. Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought other iPad owners might like this workaround.

I think most of us are bummed that you cannot run music streaming services like Pandora simultaneously while running another app (ie browsing) due to the inability of 3rd party Apps to multitask.

Apparently Apple's apps (Safari, iTunes, Mail are exempt) so here is the workaround:

1) Go to a site that streams music via their web site (that doesn't use flash but an embedded HTML link). Try www.etn.fm for example.
2) Click on their streaming link and an embedded Quicktime player will start up and after buffeting some data it will start to play. Both mp3 and AAC streams will work.
3) Leave the page open and playing and click on the iPad's Home button to go and select another App
4) Voila. Background streamed music w/o iTunes!!! Not exactly Pandora but there are a lot of great Streaming stations out there

Try these ETN links:
http://etn.fm/playlists/etn1-aac-high.m3u
http://etn.fm/playlists/etn1beta.m3u

Shoutcast.com has a HUGE catalog of stations of all different types of music.

Once the stream is playing, you can also bookmark the station using the "Add to Home Screen" option for quick launches.

I've tried running a bunch of different Apps and as long as the App isn't pumping out audio too the stream you opened in the background Safari window keeps playing.

Give it a try.

Dave

OP
D

DaveC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Played around a bit more with this:

-Music keeps playing even if you hit the sleep button. This will really save battery life.

-Shazam runs with the stream in the background so you can use it for ID'ing songs that are being played. Not sure this works with the headphones plugged in, may have to hold a ear bud/headphone speaker in front of the mic. Does seem to work using the speakers though accuracy may vary b/c the speaker is so far from the microphone.

-The first time you play a stream via Shoutcast.com it'll ask what type of playback method you want to use. I chose the external player option (not their Mini Player)

-Some games don't stop playback and the game sounds still come through (ie Labrynth HD)

-Turning on in game iTunes library playback will stop the stream's playback.

-Some Apps will randomly stop playback, possibly due to network bandwidth contention.

-If the stream stops, reloading the stream's Safari page or clicking on the home screen bookmark that you made for the station will restart it

Your mileage will vary depending on the App you're running and the quality of your connection. I have a feeling this will work over 3G.

It's not Pandora but it's a pretty nice workaround until (if) Apple starts allowing 3rd party Apps to multitask. I think I'll be dedicating a whole home screen page to Bookmarked stations as this works pretty darned well.

Last edited:

Most reactions