What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrong OS for my IPad 4

Redman13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an IPad 4, model a1460, with a drawer to put a SIM card,
But the os tell me that my iPad is the model a1458, witch has no SIM card, so I can't use 3G or 4g and not even the gps, is there any solution ???
Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where in the OS are you getting the model number from?

Is this an iPad you bought directly from Apple, or another retailer?

Do you have an Apple Store nearby you can go to and have them look at it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
R

Redman13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- Settings/ general/ about/ legal/ regulatory.
-I bought it in Internet .
-We don't have apple stores in my country
Thanks for your quick response.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that's the best place to check.

It sounds like your iPad may have been modified, a wi-fi only board in a wi-fi plus cellular casing. If that's the case, then there is no solution. Unless you can get a refund form whoever sold it to you.

This looks to becomeing more common, some kind of scam thrid party repare and resell thing, I'm guessing. Here's another thread from a person with a similar issue:

Weird iPad Air 2 WI-Fi model in a Cellular body

I could be wrong, but I kind of doubt it. Sorry.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Twerppoet may be right, another way to check this theory is to compare the serial number on the back of then iPad with the one listed in settings. If the match , I'll be very surprised.

OP
R

Redman13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The fact is that the person who sold me the IPad told me that it was wifi only, I'm just trying to make gps and cellular workin, but I'm not going to mess with it cause its workin fine, although I didn't try Bluetooth yet,
About serial number they are the same, I don't know if this will help, I will try the app used with air pad 2 and see if it works,
Later,

OP
R

Redman13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so the app (and other apps) didn't find anything, but Bluetooth works fine, I'm just curious to know how and why someone would want to change the OS.
thank you guys for your answers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt they changed the OS. Each iOS version is tied to the hardware. It should be impossible to load an iOS version other than the one that is intended for that model. That' why we suspect that the mother board is not a wi-fi plus cellular model.

The serial numbers being the same argues against that, so we're left with two bits of info that seem to contratict eachother.

I'd really like to know what is going on, since this is the second iPad we've seen with this configuration, but as long as you are happy with what you have, I guess it's not important.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A final answer as to what caused this problem would involve the iPad being opened by a qualified technician to see what, if anything, was done to the motherboard and other internal components. Since the iPad works normally as a WiFi only model, you may not want to have the internal components examined.

OP
R

Redman13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you said, wifi is enough for what I'm using it, so, unless someday someone will find a solution, I'll just keep using it as wifi model, anyway thank you guys for your help, I'll keep serching in the net, who knows.

Most reactions

Latest posts