What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the lightning connector ever be supported ?

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if third party companies will ever support the lightning connector. It's been over a year since it came year and even companies like iHome only have a couple of models out. It's not only alarm clocks but all kinds of accessories that were supporting the old connector like exercise machines where you could dock your iPad and get all kinds of useful information.

Now so many times when you check their website they always mention that they only support older devices. That problem can't be easily solved with an adapter or wireless.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For whatever reason most speaker manufacturers, and other stuff makers, seem to be concentrating on BlueTooth instead of a physical dock. Probably because it skips over the whole compatibility issue. With newer iOS devices and the 4.0 Bluetooth standard it's easier than it used to be to keep stuff paired.

There are a few lightning port devices, but they are not being advertised much and require some online searching skills. Physical stores don't seem inclined to carry them.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For whatever reason most speaker manufacturers, and other stuff makers, seem to be concentrating on BlueTooth instead of a physical dock. Probably because it skips over the whole compatibility issue. With newer iOS devices and the 4.0 Bluetooth standard it's easier than it used to be to keep stuff paired. There are a few lightning port devices, but they are not being advertised much and require some online searching skills. Physical stores don't seem inclined to carry them.

Agreed, Bluetooth is the way to go since it takes a lot of the red tape out of the equation. The nature of the iPad seems to lean towards wireless connectivity options for most things.

OP
mstikes

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth wireless is not the same as a dock that keeps your device upwards and charged. For other devices like exercise machines it's much more difficult to transfer the information using Bluetooth instead of docking the iPad and using it as a monitor.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bluetooth wireless is not the same as a dock that keeps your device upwards and charged. For other devices like exercise machines it's much more difficult to transfer the information using Bluetooth instead of docking the iPad and using it as a monitor.

Surely you don't expect a gym to swap out all of its exercise machines just to support a newish lighting connector? That equipment will have to wear out before those machines get replaced and that has nothing to do with whether the lightning connector is being support, as new machines will likely have newer connectors.

OP
mstikes

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surely you don't expect a gym to swap out all of its exercise machines just to support a newish lighting connector? That equipment will have to wear out before those machines get replaced and that has nothing to do with whether the lightning connector is being support, as new machines will likely have newer connectors.

I don't know where you got "the gym switching entire equipment" from ? I was talking about personal machines that consumers can buy like the iconcept stationary bikes that use the 8 pin connectors. There are dozens of other cool accessories that used the 16 pin connectors that were left in he dark when Apple came out with the new lightning. Since it's a proprietary, it's very difficult and expensive for third parties to implement it.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know where you got "the gym switching entire equipment" from ? I was talking about personal machines that consumers can buy like the iconcept stationary bikes that use the 8 pin connectors. There are dozens of other cool accessories that used the 16 pin connectors that were left in he dark when Apple came out with the new lightning. Since it's a proprietary, it's very difficult and expensive for third parties to implement it.

You should write to some of these companies letting them know you want this product. There are probably a lot more 30-pin devices in use than ones with lightning connectors. They only showed up in November 2012.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to make it clear that I was not trying to say docks are bad, or good. Only pointing out what seems to be the current trend, and a possible reason why.

Rambling on, because:

The more models of something you make the more it costs, and if most models don't sell well you can easily go bankrupt. Given that, a bluetooth model that is theoretically compatible with most tablets and smart phones is the cautious approach. The market is larger. With something like gym equipment, which is probably not the largest of consumer markets, the cautious approach is going to appeal.

When the 30 pin connector was at it's prime Android devices were not nearly as wides spread as they are now, especially the top end phones. Now high end Android phones are common. Ignoring them is ignoring a lot of potential buyers. Creating two models of the same basic type means twice the marketing and more work all around for the same number of potential customers as a universal model 'might' bring in.

You could probably reduce this by making one model with two smartphone accessory packs, but I haven't heard of anyone trying that approach.

Done rambling on.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a dock or exercise equipment, but when I got my iRig (the digital one) it came with both 30 pin and Lightning connectors.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Th real problem is because of all the different size cases it's impossible for a dock manufacturer to make something that will work for the many. Put a case on your iDevice and there goes the dock.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Th real problem is because of all the different size cases it's impossible for a dock manufacturer to make something that will work for the many. Put a case on your iDevice and there goes the dock.

A good point. It's one of the reasons I don't' case my iPhone. I don't plug the iPad into anything but it's charging cord, so it's less of an issue.

OP
mstikes

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How will that case help me in connecting my device to the exercise bike to get all of my data ???

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's bad enough that there were car manufacturers who had built-in iPod/iPhone dock connectors with the old connector, let alone this new (and fragile) lightning option. I must've snapped 3-4 lightning connectors because they are so fragile and thin that a simple bend the wrong way here or there will break them. I had to resort to generic lightning cables since I refuse to pay $20 a pop for a 3ft long white cord from the Apple Store.

Bluetooth is the way to go in most cases if there isn't some sort of lightning adapter to rely on. As someone who owns both Android and Apple devices, watching Apple lean so much of its production of 'newer' models based on its pride/reputation on "build quality" and "their app store" BUT not so much on other tech that could be implemented (such as NFC, wireless charging, front facing speakers rather than off to one side or on the rear), is disappointing. Especially when it comes to pricing (add $100 for every tier of disk space for the iPad Air and Minis? Really?). :thumbsdown:

treveden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re Lightning cable adapters.

Find the concept of a reputable company like Apple would completely hold its customers to ransom over the supply of adapters to connect other equipment like USB , camera cards, hdmi et al.
We all know that if you require a high capacity item like a usb storage adapter , we are able to purchase any manufacturer produced item and it will interface with your PC, TV, car or whatever.
The exception being the lightning adapter which is totally anti-competitive and deliberately software engineered to iron out any competition ?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Supply a USB connector so the person can charge the device whilst connected via Bluetooth

Most reactions

Latest posts