What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Repeater

gmpyblue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just installed a wifi repeater in the bedroom which is the furthest from my router, my Ipad 3 recognizes it and says it connected, But it will not go on line ?
The repeater is : Wireless-N Wi-Fi Repeater. Just plugged it in and pressed the button and it came up on the iPad I tapped the connection and a tick came up, but when I go to Google or iplayer it cannot find it :: Unable to get results.Please check your network connection.

Help Please
George

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi George - you'll need to provide more information: 1) Which ISP are you using and is your signal cabled or DSP?; 2) Brand/model of your modem and router (may be combined into one device)?; 3) What protocol does your router use, i.e. 802.11 b/g/n/ac?; 4) Does your iPad 3 connect to the internet when you are next to the router?; and 5) What is the distance from your router to the bedroom, e.g. how many rooms, floors, wall construction (wood vs. stone)?

Does your router connect to your iPad 3 in the bedroom, i.e. w/o the repeater? Have you measure the download speed & signal strength of the iPad3 next to the router and in the bedroom? For speed, I use Speedtest Net (an iPad app exists); for signal strength, I like WiFi Explorer which is on my MBookPro (not sure if there is a good iPad equivalent?) - but attached is a pic from my laptop from my den (router is in an adjacent bedroom) - four of those listings (the strongest signals) are from my 4 home networks using an AirPort Extreme router; SO, if you have a laptop, you can test your own signal strength in the bedroom.

Now keep in mind that if your router is 'say' over 100 ft from the bedroom (and w/ multiple walls in-between), a repeater should be placed between the two sites - the signal strength getting to the bedroom may not be adequate? BUT, I'll let you 'digest' and respond to these questions - let us know - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 12.35.15 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like the iPad isn't getting a valid network IP address, or perhaps DNS service. It can be tricky getting a wi-fi repeater to pass these along properly.

Open the wi-fi settings on the iPad, tap the (i) icon next to the network. Compare the results to what you find on other devices/computers that do work. The only thing that should be different is the last number of the IP address. Or compair it to what you see when the iPad is connected directly to the main router and is working.

This is your starting place.

The finish I can't help you with so much. Routers vary a lot in how the are set up, and figuring out how to configure them remotely is a royal pain. What you want is for the extender to be as transparent as possible. It should not have DHCP tuned on, but instead let devices get their information from the main router.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your wifi repeater needs to first talk to your wifi router. The wifi router is doing the real work of connecting you to the internet. The repeater basically just extends the signal, but usually they create a second (in my case a third and a fourth) network. You need to get that setup first. Once you have that, then your Ipad can get on any of the networks to get to the internet.

Most reactions