What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Only vs. 3G: How to Decide

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not getting a 3G iPad but probably would if there was any ATT coverage here. May get the 3G when I get my second generation iPad for trips and such.

Although if they put a gps module in this gadget I would be thrilled, Garmin and TomTom would not be thrilled I am sure.

drmrw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the wifi only because I have a sprint overdrive wireless hotspot for those times that i might want to use the ipad away from wifi. I mostly got the ipad to browse on the couch at home (or office), for movies, books, games, and to use it to present my keynote presentations. So for that i didn't really think i needed the 3g version.

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally ordered a 64GB Wifi only version. I travel a lot (60%+) and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. I have found that not all hotels have good Wifi. Some hotels have only a wired connection, which will not do me any good for the IPad. With my Iphone, I usually will have either wireless, 3G or both to choose from. Based on this experience, I changed my order to get the 3G 64GB IPad. I hate having to wait longer for it.

lsymmonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
3g is only if you A) want to use the device where you don't have access to wifi or B) don't have a current phone that allows wifi tethering.

I have a droid....i got the wifi only.

Please explain the comment about using a Droid phone. I assume you mean to tether or does the Droid act as a WiFi spot? Also what is MyFi please?

I ordered a 3G 64B iPad and hate waiting (has anyone seen any rumors about the release date for the 3G version?).

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3g

I originally ordered a 64GB Wifi only version. I travel a lot (60%+) and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. I have found that not all hotels have good Wifi. Some hotels have only a wired connection, which will not do me any good for the IPad. With my Iphone, I usually will have either wireless, 3G or both to choose from. Based on this experience, I changed my order to get the 3G 64GB IPad. I hate having to wait longer for it.

I agree with you not so many Hotel have good Wifi, and it's clear for people like us travel a lot a 3G will be much better ...

i deeply believe , i will not carry so often as now my MBP ... iPad will do most of i need in bizz trip

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just couldn't take it anymore. Just preordered the 3g 64Gb ipad. Now the horrid waiting.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3g is only if you A) want to use the device where you don't have access to wifi or B) don't have a current phone that allows wifi tethering.

Please explain the comment about using a Droid phone. I assume you mean to tether or does the Droid act as a WiFi spot? Also what is MyFi please?

I ordered a 3G 64B iPad and hate waiting (has anyone seen any rumors about the release date for the 3G version?).

yeah if you root your droid you can install the wifi tether app and use your droid as a hotspot...works really well.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

yeah if you root your droid you can install the wifi tether app and use your droid as a hotspot...works really well.

WHAT??? is rooting a Droid :confused: at first I thought booting but then not sure at all. Interested as the Droid may be my next phone, no ATT here so no iPhone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

WHAT??? is rooting a Droid :confused: at first I thought booting but then not sure at all. Interested as the Droid may be my next phone, no ATT here so no iPhone.

Similar to iPhone Jailbreak...it just means you add root (linux for administrator) access to applications...allows for more advanced control of the device.

kvmkvm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
went with wiFi

I opted for wifi; I have an AT&T quicksilver usb modem for my lap top.

I have ben looking for answers ( hacks) that will allow me to plus it into my ipda; if not I can always find a Starbucks \ McDonalds ; that att allows for wifi under my data plan.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looked it up and finally understand what they are saying about hacking the iPad and the iPhone. This is not why I got a Mac, I just want it to work, every time.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not why I got a Mac, I just want it to work, every time.

Im with you on that one.

I kept going back and forth, back and forth, after I found out about the Wifi Hotspot app for Jailbroken iPhones but I can't Jailbreak my iPhone (3GS w/ 3.1.3 and newest basebad...no Jailbreak available yet) but really...I don't want to have to worry that I can't upgrade my iPhones firmware or worry that I don't have the phone on me or that the battery is dead or almost dead and the tethering would drain it even faster.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never said you had to do it, just said I will and it's an option. I would never use att service.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never said you had to do it, just said I will and it's an option. I would never use att service.

And we never said that you should not or even that we are not interested in all the things you can do with a modified phone, just that I am more interested in just having an invisible device that does exactly the same thing every time. I never want to see a blue screen with white letters ever again.

With all the apps on the app store, I will always have new features to try, with more than a reasonable chance it will not crash my iPad.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just convert your USB modem to something like the Verizon Mifi (assuming ATT has one) - I plan to use the Mifi with my wifi Ipad.

I opted for wifi; I have an AT&T quicksilver usb modem for my lap top.

I have ben looking for answers ( hacks) that will allow me to plus it into my ipda; if not I can always find a Starbucks \ McDonalds ; that att allows for wifi under my data plan.

Most reactions

Latest posts