What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi drive / media player

adamo74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a seagate wifi drive and I have all kinds of media loaded on there and I'm trying to get the iPad to stream the different media types but it doesn't seem to work

Seagate suggested the purchase of the Oplayer app, which I did however it doesn't seem to play any of the non-apple supported media types

Wondering if anyone has a similar experience and has overcome this hurdle

A

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of things to consider here. First of all don't assume the problem is with the Seagate.

In order to play streaming video or video of any kind for that matter you will need two components 1. A media Server (your Seagate) and 2. A UnPn or DLNA aware player. Both must understand the format of the data you've stored.

The iPad typically does not understand many formats If your media is in .avi or wmw format then it will not play.

Your options are to to attack the problem on the server or with a player that has wider video support.

Search the app store for "DLNA" media players and try them to see if that helps otherwise you're going to either have to translate your media to .mp4 format before the iPad will recognize it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a seagate wifi drive and I have all kinds of media loaded on there and I'm trying to get the iPad to stream the different media types but it doesn't seem to work

Seagate suggested the purchase of the Oplayer app, which I did however it doesn't seem to play any of the non-apple supported media types

Wondering if anyone has a similar experience and has overcome this hurdle

A
I'm assuming that you have the Seagate GoFlex external hard drive:

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

That is the only Wi-Fi hard drive that works with the iPad.

If that's the hard drive you have, you need to use their app to view videos.

App Store - GoFlex Media (Seagate Technology)

There are a few other apps that are optimized for it as well including the Oplayer.

These are the media types that are supported on the iPad:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

As Wpeace mentioned, you won't be able to play anything else without actually converting the file(s) to play on the iPad.

Hope that helps a little!

Most reactions

Latest posts