What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Ksype for iPad suddenly forgets password?

phuile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before Skype for iPad is out, I installed Skype for iPhone for my dad and set it so he never has to type in the password himself. The app will log in when he starts it up.

I recently installed Skype for iPad for him. The password remembers itself sometimes, but sudeenly, it will ask him for the password again.

Why is this happening and how can I solve it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set my Skype account to never log out and the app opens on iPad without me having to sign on.

You might have to sign back on if you clear cookies and data, though. (Some people have been clearing more frequently since iOS 5, because of RAM probs; don't know whether you've been doing that.)

OP
P

phuile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does Skype for iPad suddenly forgets password?

My Dad has been unplugging everything every night since he had his iPad. But he was never asked to re-enter his password before.

Then suddenly, he was asked the password. I am just curious as to why, because he hasn't done anything different. He doesn't do anything else except for turning the iPad on and off and tapping to start Skype. He is 80 years old and doesn't know how to do anything else. So he wouldn't have cleared cookies etc on his iPad.

He finds typing difficult so we have set the log in to be automatic. But we don't know why it suddenly asks him for the password. If we know, we can set it so he doesn't have to do that. he got frustrated when he is faced with something he doesn't usually expacts...

Thanks again.

I set my Skype account to never log out and the app opens on iPad without me having to sign on.

You might have to sign back on if you clear cookies and data, though. (Some people have been clearing more frequently since iOS 5, because of RAM probs; don't know whether you've been doing that.)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Skype hasn't changed its behavior despite my upgrade to iOS 5, and I have Skype on several devices.

Like I said, my account is set to never sign out. Maybe you need to make sure that's how yours is set, too:

Settings > Skype > Go Offline > Never

By the way, in that area, you should have Sign In Automatically toggled on as well.

I'm thinking now that you might not have set up the iPad app (maybe you just loaded it and figured it would default to your iPhone version's settings). But they're two separate apps, so you'd have to set both accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
P

phuile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I have not reported exactly what I have done when I install Skype for iPad. Yes, I did set everything up again. And never go offline is set and so is automatic sign in. And, I have tested that several times, including turning off the iPad and unplugging it for a little while (trying to simulate what my father insists he has to do every night). And it automatically signed back on the times I tested it.

However, as life will have it, as soon as I left him by himself, he said that they ask for the password when he start the App.

This is why I am asking questions here, trying to find out what could have casued it, so I can set the things I have missed next time I am with him.

Will turning the iPad off, or unplugging it for a period long than say 2 days requires you to supply the password again, no matter what you have set, for example? Or if his Apps automatically download and updates itself when he starts it up, would that cause him to have to supply the password?

Just wanting to explore this so I can help him.

Thanks agian.

My Skype hasn't changed its behavior despite my upgrade to iOS 5, and I have Skype on several devices.

Like I said, my account is set to never sign out. Maybe you need to make sure that's how yours is set, too:

Settings > Skype > Go Offline > Never

By the way, in that area, you should have Sign In Automatically toggled on as well.

I'm thinking now that you might not have set up the iPad app (maybe you just loaded it and figured it would default to your iPhone version's settings). But they're two separate apps, so you'd have to set both accordingly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If he's turning it off (as opposed to putting it to sleep), he's probably signing it out of Skype at that point. Rarely need to turn off (as opposed to putting to sleep). I turn off maybe once every six months or so, if that.

Not plugging in for two days shouldn't make a diff. I do that because I have two iPads and often don't need to charge for several days, depending on use.

By the way, have you asked him to demonstrate exactly what he does after you leave?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts