What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is iCloud password stored?

highstream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Mini 5, iOS 16.2 Where is the iCloud password stored? It's not the same as my Apple one. I don't see it in the password list and since I don't use two-factor ID, it's not under iCloud pw & keychain. Thanks,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are looking for a place where your Apple ID (or device ID) are stored so you can look it up. There isn't one. Not automatically. You need to store that somewhere manually, or remember it.

No operating system or service stores it's password in a readable format automatically. Apple's keychain is only for storing and using passwords for other services and accounts.

The iCloud password is used in a few different places, and would be better named as your Apple ID*. You use it to log into your iCloud account under your user account, which is accessed by tapping on your name in Settings at the top of the list.

You would also use the same password to sign into Apple's other services like Music, the App Store, and Apple TV.

With the recent update to iOS/iPadOS 16.2, Apple has enable signing into your iCloud services using the device password. To do this you'll enter your Apple ID when prompted. I'm not sure what or where the original Apple ID will be used after that other than when signing on in a web browser.

* It is possible to have different accounts/passwords for your Apple ID and iCloud. It is unusual. You would have had to do it on purpose. Creating and Apple ID or iCloud account will create both accounts at the same time with the same password unless you deliberately avoid doing so. You would not normally do this unless you were trying to share one of the two accounts with another person while keeping the other account private.

OP
H

highstream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how it came about that they are different. When I go into iCloud and change the pw, it goes to the Apple ID page. It recognized the iCloud one as the existing one, tho not sure why. In any case, I changed it and then logged into Apple Communities to see if it was recognized, and it was. So now it seems they are the same. Thanks.

OP
H

highstream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine showed warning today 4.6/5 GB was in use and that I should consider upgrade. I had never seen this figure or anything remotely close to it before. I disabled back ups of most of the apps. I sure am not going to pay for iCloud.

Most reactions

Latest posts