What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I buy a car, I don't automatically assume that just because my last car had USB connectivity, the one I'm looking at automatically has it too. I research to make sure it has everything I want. Treat how you buy electronic devices the same way you buy cars/houses/anything else. You get a house inspected for termites before you buy it, right?

As I mentioned, it was my bad, not Apple's. I still think the device is worth every penny of its fairly low asking price. It just isn't nearly up to the tasks I specifically want a device like this to perform. I'll definitely go over the specs in any future tablet purchase I make.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved my iPad when I first got it, and I still use it for a number of functions. The hardware and interface design are awesome and obviously reflect a lot of innovative thought. It is a great tool to work with. The number of applications is truly staggering, and I've probably spent more than I should trying out the various editors, ToDo managers, etc.

But there is something fundamentally wrong with the application environment design. And I suspect that in the long run this could have a very detrimental affect on the success of the device. As I've used the iPad for at least a half year now I'm being to feel constrained and frustrated. Its taken me a while to put my finger on it but I think I have determined the source of my distress. The apps just don't work well together.

Why? Well there are a number of reasons.
1) Inconsistent and non-standard file formats. As an example the text editors have many differentiating features. This results in the need to store different information in the files. Result: One text editor won't read the other's file format. Of course you could stick with DocsToGo and the more or less standard MS file formats, but then I can't get the features I want, and which I bought the iPad2 to get.
2) This brings us to the next issues. Even if the file formats were consistent, which is the case for photos and video, you can't get there from here. Each applications file storage seems to have walls around it. This I'm sure is for security reasons, but why? I'm the only person using the device and there aren't a million viruses running around for the iPad. Instead I find I have to email files to myself just so I can open them in a different application.
3) Workflow is difficult to track. What with emailing these files all over the place just to open them in a different application, I can't keep track of which is the most current version. This device was supposed to be about collaboration abilities, yet it does everything it can to make that difficult.
4) Wasted storage. All those copies of files represent duplicate/triplicate/... storage demand. What a waste.
5) Some things can't be done on the iPad at all. Every tried renaming a pdf in iBooks. Can't do it. Want to set up groups in your Contacts list. Have to do that off the iPad. No arrow keys or ability to delete to the right. Come on guys, these are bread and butter requirements, not something esoteric.

So what does this all mean? Well it means that the initial euphoria of the neato interface and convenience of a simple to carry device has worn off and now I'm assessing it for the true value it is providing me. I don't play games on this device, I use it at work, and for personal productivty use and for some one-off, non-collaborative functions is it just fine. But it is not currently making the grade in other areas, because I am simply not prepared to jump through the hoops Apple saw fit to roll into this device.

The long and short is I am less and less motivated to pick it up and carry it with me. A day may come when it sits on the desk for a week, at which point it will be buried under a pile of paper and forgotten. Apple, you don't want that to happen, because then I am no longer an Apple evangelist, just a lapsed believer.

You should have gotten Android tablet to begin with. Do your home work before spending $$$. Apple iPads are not for everyone.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sleaka J said:
When I buy a car, I don't automatically assume that just because my last car had USB connectivity, the one I'm looking at automatically has it too. I research to make sure it has everything I want. Treat how you buy electronic devices the same way you buy cars/houses/anything else. You get a house inspected for termites before you buy it, right?

That's not the best analogy. A car or a House is a little more involving and complex than a tablet. He's right too, just about every tablet does have at least an SD slot or whatever. Just like all laptops have DVD drives now.... To find one that doesn't would have you scratching your head.

Cars are $30 grand. Houses are $150 grand. Tablets are $500 bucks. You wouldn't shop for them same way. That's all I'm saying.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
That's not the best analogy. A car or a House is a little more involving and complex than a tablet. He's right too, just about every tablet does have at least an SD slot or whatever. Just like all laptops have DVD drives now.... To find one that doesn't would have you scratching your head.

Cars are $30 grand. Houses are $150 grand. Tablets are $500 bucks. You wouldn't shop for them same way. That's all I'm saying.

I get what you are saying but the MacBook air has no DVD and the iPad and iPhone have no ssd. Everyone should know that at least at the point of plunking money down on one.

Btw netbooks and other higher powered ultrathin windows laptops also come without A DVD.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but the MacBook air has no DVD and the iPad and iPhone have no ssd. Everyone should know that at least at the point of plunking money down on one.

Btw netbooks and other higher powered ultrathin windows laptops also come without A DVD.

I think you mean the iPhone and iPad have no SD slot. They do have SSDs. The problem is that people are not sure what they need or what they should ask, at times. People read about how great the iPad is, so they think they must need one. Then they find issues that are not really an issue, but they do not make the effort, or do not have the mojo to make things work another way. For example, Apple has mad it clear that the iPad is not a laptop replacement. So why do people expect it to be one? It was not meant to be a large storage device, so why expect it to have a monster drive? There are work arounds that increase the potential of the iPad, but it is still not a laptop.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having owned Ipads since they came out, I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with them. I believe that the Ipad was designed to be a more of a consumption rather than production tool. It's primary purpose of reading emails, books, magazines, surfing the web, watching movies, etc. Don't believe Jobs wanted it to replace Mac laptops or desktops. The file system is a hidden element to protect against user tampering. As soon as you make the system available to a user, you increase many fold the problems that can be caused by that user. Just my thoughts.

Martc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well Kwaldren, I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

I've worked with computers since the 60s when they were all in temperature-controlled air conditioned rooms. Since then they've evolved into smaller, more portable versions that pretty much do the same thing. However, to me, the ipad is a different device altogether. I can watch TV, listen to the radio, play music, control my hifi system, play games, manage photos, read newspapers, books & magazines, manage my finances, manage my diary & appointments, do work remotely on my PC, set Sky+ when I'm away on holiday.... my iphone (just a small ipad really) is a satnav, a golf caddie (for distances, not to carry the bag unfortunately!), video camera etc.

I've never bought an Apple computer, but I really believe that the ipad is a revolutionary device and should be judged as such.

If you want to do heavy computing get a computer, if you want to take serious photos get a DSLR camera, ir you want to watch hi-def TV get a plasma screen etc.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They way I think of it is if you want a tablet to mesh perfectly what your current workflow, and your workflow is based on Windows, then you need a Windows tablet. If your workflow is based on a unix variant, then an Android tablet might be best. But on the other hand, iOS is pretty simple to learn and use. One can just learn how to adapt your workflow to include it, or not. Some people don't like or want change and if that's you, don't change. Get the device that best suits your needs. You can get a 2lb Samsung Slate for about $1200. Full Windows 7.

I may eventually do just that, but for now I enjoy using the iOS device. And I enjoy using Android devices too. I'm sort of a tablet fiend these days. They seem to represent what is new in computing. Embrace it or not. Your choice. YMMV.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
They way I think of it is if you want a tablet to mesh perfectly what your current workflow, and your workflow is based on Windows, then you need a Windows tablet. If your workflow is based on a unix variant, then an Android tablet might be best. But on the other hand, iOS is pretty simple to learn and use. One can just learn how to adapt your workflow to include it, or not. Some people don't like or want change and if that's you, don't change. Get the device that best suits your needs. You can get a 2lb Samsung Slate for about $1200. Full Windows 7.

I may eventually do just that, but for now I enjoy using the iOS device. And I enjoy using Android devices too. I'm sort of a tablet fiend these days. They seem to represent what is new in computing. Embrace it or not. Your choice. YMMV.

We've been testing windows tablets at work for a couple of years now. Everyone that was very enthusiastic to include one into their workflow has ended giving it back within a month and become much less enthusiastic about tablets overall. I am really hoping Windows 8 will finally break that record. They really did not even want to have it as an addition to the laptop because they figure that they don't want a machine that has the similar problems of a laptop in a tablet.

So since no one has replaced their laptops with a tablet at my workplace there are quite a few people that use an iPad for meetings and other consumptive workflow. Most are happy with that combination as the iPad does offer some innovative ways of doing things.

And finally due to security issues Android is just not an option for work at this time. Maybe a future version.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
altimax98 said:
being able to edit letters within a word are things I miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is possible on an iPad

Attachments

• image-4223920811.jpg
    image-4223920811.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 193
OP
K

kwaldron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect what is referred to is the lack of left and right cursor keys, as well as up and down. Yes you can position using your finger, but it is persnickety. Particularly bothersome is when you lift your finger and the cursor moves by one character. Grrrr.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm perhaps the question that should be asked is not what’s wrong with iPad but what is good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts