What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best app for taking hand written notes on ipad

lissagriffen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take a lot of hand written notes and see the iPad as a great tool for this. What I then want to do is convert to type text and send by email or file by note name. What's the best app for this?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lisa-welcome to the forum!

I did a search and came up with this thread-it is a bit dated, but should help you:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/20422-best-note-taking-app-ipad-2-a.html

I haven't taken notes by handwriting on the screen-but have used such apps as: Goodreader and Evernote.

To me, I find that using pen to paper is the best method for me when in meetings, etc. sometimes I think that the iPad can become a bit too distracting for folks around me, so I just keep it in my bag.

I hope this helps you!

perki40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research on this and hands down Note Taker HD is the best. I think it is $4.99 and well worth it. I would also suggest going to YouTube.com to review the videos from the developer on how to use it. It is feature rich, takes a little time to learn all the features but can do most anything you may need. Enjoy.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If handwriting -> typed text conversion is a high priority for you, the best app I've found is 7Notes HD Premium. It does an excellent job of converting handwriting to text in real-time (Other apps do so only after selecting a block of handwriting, leaving the task of editing the conversion) and has an excellent predictive text engine once you have used it for awhile. You might also want to look at PhatPad and WritePad but I don't think either is as satisfactory for converting handwriting to text.

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, 7Notes HD Premium is the only app (to my knowledge) with instant conversion from hand writing to text. While I generally think it's a great app, I've been very disappointed by the conversion feature because the app only recognises about 15% of my hand writing correctly, so it ended up just being too time consuming and impractical for me. I now use Notability, take hand written notes and export them as such in a pdf format.

Most reactions