What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's more secure than Dropbox?

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Would iCloud be more secure than Dropbox for documents?

I remember reading somewhere than data going to and from iCloud isn't encrypted. What's the current situation on that?

Are there more secure options I should look at?

Thanks

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use BoxCryptor (www.boxcryptor.com) and/or TrueCrypt containers to encrypt items I want encrypted in the cloud. I have a specific folder that has all of the encrypted items in it using BoxCryptor. It also has mobile apps used to view encrypted items in those folders for on-the-go usage. Very easy to use and set up. TrueCrypt I have used in a large variety of ways. There is an issue with it and services like DropBox and SkyDrive where it must change the whole container instead of just the updated file. But, I use BC since I only want specific folders encrypted. Works like a charm and it's Free! I purchased the unlimited version so it will also encrypt the filenames.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is what Box.com says about it's security.
https://www.box.com/enterprise/security-and-architecture/

I sounds a lot better than what DropBox says,

https://www.dropbox.com/help/27/en

but that may just be because they are more forthcoming. On the other hand, Box has been targeted at businesses all along, so it's had to take security seriously all along. They need the trust of the companies that depend on them.

In my opinion both are secure enough for most people and most uses. I would hesitate to save critical financial information or company secrets on either. If I did, I would encrypt the files using my own utility, as Todd M suggests. Their encryption plus your own 256 bit encryption makes for a very secure file.

Most reactions