What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will happen if I update my iPad 1 JB 4.2.1 to 5.1.1 as iTunes would like to do?

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a 64Gig Wifi unit. Have tons of movies, books and apps. Will the 5.1.1 update even work with a jailbroken iPad and will I lose all my movies, books apps etc? I have been thinking about this as so many programs now require 4.3 and later.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
It is a 64Gig Wifi unit. Have tons of movies, books and apps. Will the 5.1.1 update even work with a jailbroken iPad and will I lose all my movies, books apps etc? I have been thinking about this as so many programs now require 4.3 and later.

A normal updating of your iPad to iOS 5.1.1 will not cause you to lose any of your content. iOS 5.1.1 is very jail breakable and you should have no trouble jail breaking your iPad after the update.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does itunes warn me that I will lose all my apps and media etc if I update. Is there a way around this?

Attachments

• 5.1.1 update.jpg
    5.1.1 update.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 249

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
Why does itunes warn me that I will lose all my apps and media etc if I update. Is there a way around this?
The Best way to avoid the problem is to use the computer you used in the ast to sync your iPad. If this isn't possible, you should authorize the new computer before connecting your iPad and syncing. Go here to learn how to authorize your computer.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

Last edited:
OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok if I do this and transfer the purchases won't this remove all the apps that apple sees as not paid for?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
Ok if I do this and transfer the purchases won't this remove all the apps that apple sees as not paid for?
Are you saying that you obtained paid apps for free? That would be a form of piracy and is nothing more than theft. Stay legal and pay for your purchases.

Last edited:
OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I am saying there may be some apps on my iPad that were purchased by the original owner. (I bought it used)
I am worried about those apps. I have synced, backed up and transferred the purchases and authorized the computer but I still get the you will loose everything warning. This has me concerned.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
No I am saying there may be some apps on my iPad that were purchased by the original owner. (I bought it used)
I am worried about those apps. I have synced, backed up and transferred the purchases and authorized the computer but I still get the you will loose everything warning. This has me concerned.

Any downloaded apps that were on your iPad when you purchased it belong to the original owner, not you. You don't have the right to keep them as it wasn't you who purchased them.You should delete them and re-purchase them with your own Apple ID.

Last edited:
OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any downloaded apps that were on your iPad when you purchased it belong to the original owner, not you. You don't have the right to keep them as it wasn't you who purchased them.You should delete them and re-purchase them with your own Apple ID.
The original owner sold the ipad and all the apps he purchased to me. The Bill of Sale lists all the apps he has sold and assigned to me.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
The original owner sold the ipad and all the apps he purchased to me. The Bill of Sale lists all the apps he has sold and assigned to me.

The person who sold the iPad to you did not have the right to sell you his apps. Apps cannot be transferred from one owner to another.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts