What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What video formats does iPad2 support?

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
I'm leaving in a couple days to give a couple lectures at a conference in Europe. Rather than take my laptop, I'm opting to take my iPad this time, which means I won't have the PowerPoint software with me to rehearse (the presentation itself is making the trip on a thumb drive). Today I got the bright idea to record my presentation from my desk top, and then I can play it back on my iPad and practice from that.

The recording software I have saves to WMV, but it has the capability to convert it to just about any other common format. What's the best output format for subsequently viewing it on my iPad2?

Thanks!

Pam

broseph23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a PowerPoint presentation? Download the keynote iPad app and you can use the PowerPoint there

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or u could get a good 3rd party media app that plays all the other formats that apple doesn't play, like Oplayer, VLC player, or CineXplayer or AV player.

OP
P

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
Is it a PowerPoint presentation? Download the keynote iPad app and you can use the PowerPoint there

before I spend money on the app, I have a few questions. I just spent a week and a half on these presentations and they're loaded with internal slide shows, animated graphics, custom animations, etc... Is keynote going to support all that once I import the presentation? Or am I looking at another week of redoing stuff to make it work in Keynote?

If it will play my powerpoint as I have it now, it will be totally worth the money! If I have to spend even more time making it work after importing it, then I'd rather just record the thing has a video file for now and play it as a movie.

Thanks for the response!

Pam

broseph23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PamEnamel said:
before I spend money on the app, I have a few questions. I just spent a week and a half on these presentations and they're loaded with internal slide shows, animated graphics, custom animations, etc... Is keynote going to support all that once I import the presentation? Or am I looking at another week of redoing stuff to make it work in Keynote?

If it will play my powerpoint as I have it now, it will be totally worth the money! If I have to spend even more time making it work after importing it, then I'd rather just record the thing has a video file for now and play it as a movie.

Thanks for the response!

Pam

You can buy it now to see if it will work if not, then you can always email iTunes customer support to ask for a refund. They will 100% surely give it to you. I always get refunds for 90% of my purchases ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
P

PamEnamel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pameast.net
Ok, I've got this working now. I ended up downloading Debut video capture software (free) which included Prism convert (also free). Recorded my presentation in wmv, then converted it to mp4. Dropped it into Dropbox and picked it up on my iPad. The whole thing was very easy!

The video ran right from Dropbox. I also tried. Sending to one of my other programs. Oddly, the only one that showed up on the list was Tomes, one of my PDF book readers. I tried it and it did work, but the quality was not as good as I got running it right from Dropbox. It's also odd that tomes is NOT showing up as an option when I bring in PDF books! Which is what I got it for.

Also, I Just figured out that Debut will let me record straight to mp4, so I can skip the convert step next time.

So much to learn!

Pam

Most reactions

Latest posts