What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"What is that" app? For train travel, USA

RachelZ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry if this was posted before, I am getting pretty lost in general. Here's my issue: We're taking a train trip across the USA, 11 days, mostly on the train. (yes, I am insane, and if I wasn't before, I will be after this trip) One great thing is all the great stuff we'll see out the window.
We have a wifi-only iPad 1 and an iPhone 3G, there's no Internet on the train -OK there will be for the part between Los Angeles and San Francisco, but there wont be on the 53 hour train from San Francisco to Chicago.
I have already on the iPad the route map of all the stops the train makes plus the train schedule, so I will know where I am, but I wont know what it is I am seeing.
I don't need a GPS. I don't need a road map. I need something I can type in "Winslow, AZ" and "Statue" or "bird" or "rock formation", or just general info about a place we are going to be, or special items I could buy, there are occasional stops for 45 minutes at some train stations, I could pop in and buy a souvenir. Which tribe is on which reservation where? We're traveling with my 4 year old and could tell him about the places we're seeing - if I only knew what we were seeing.
Kind of like an encyclopedia?
We're going NYC- Chicago- Grand Canyon - Los Angeles - SFO - Chicago - NYC
Any ideas?
Thanks in Advance!

OP
R

RachelZ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replying to myself- I downloaded Wikihoods and Wikihoods plus but it's not working on either the iPad or iPhone. I did not turn on location services on the iPad. On the iPad I can find for instance Williams AZ, which I know has the train to the Grand Canyon, and I know it's on Route 66, I get to Williams, click on it and then I get a push pin on the map where Williams is, which of course I already know and would know from the map and schedule I have, and the pictures shows the train, which I know is the one to Grand Canyon, then it says its "sorting data" and then craps out. Both devices. I can't figure out how to get to the in-app packages, which I *think* would give me the offline data. I am just frustrated as all get out...

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the train apps I can find helps to find other train times, and ticket costs.
If you are interested in that, I can give you some links.

OP
R

RachelZ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks City but I already have the ticket and the time schedules. I want to know what we're seeing out the windows!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Type Scenic Map into the app store. There are separate apps for west, central, and east USA, $10 each.

Or buy a road atlas...

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
R

RachelZ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm Lanny, I looked up the scenic maps and found that I had already downloaded their free app of "You Need A Map". Reviews confused me (more than I already am) because they said I should download the database, but I can't figure out how to do that. Any case, I started to poke around and the free map will do the trick. I can at least look up what I am looking at, know it's name, look it up later. Not much else I could do from the train any way.
I didn't mention that I haven't turned on Location Services, that creeps me out. I also didn't mention that we're traveling as light as possible, so I can't bring my road atlas.
I still have to figure out how this thing works!
But you did end up showing me I already had what I needed, thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts