What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a good screen protector for the back and front of the mini?

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a screen protector to protect not only the front, but the back of the case as well. I also don't want something that is going to leave residue and gunk that won't come off if I ever want to take it off. What can you guys recommend me or what are you guys currently using?

Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
C

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm talking about screen protectors. the film that goes over it so it doesn't scratch the screen. Why would it be unncessary? Are the screens not scratchable?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cheese said:
i'm talking about screen protectors. the film that goes over it so it doesn't scratch the screen. Why would it be unncessary? Are the screens not scratchable?

Screen protectors are more of a nuisance than anything. I've had my iPad since march 2011, looks brand new. Just in a case.

KHB1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen protectors are more of a nuisance than anything. I've had my iPad since march 2011, looks brand new. Just in a case.

My purse has not been good to my iPad 2 without a screen protector. Evan with the folio case it has been scratched. The mini will go with me where ever I go as well. About two months into iPad 2 went with the zagg screen protector and loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KHB1 said:
My purse has not been good to my iPad 2 without a screen protector. Evan with the folio case it has been scratched. The mini will go with me where ever I go as well. About two months into iPad 2 went with the zagg screen protector and loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All that really matters is what works for you, not what works for someone else.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have found on my Kindle Fire and ipad that a screen protector does reduce glare. I have used BoxWave brand on both and have found them easy to apply with NO bubbles resulting! I'll be getting one for my mini which is currently high over the Pacific Ocean headed east.

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about a sleeve? Protection while in a bag or being carried around but no screen protector getting in the way. I have one from Mujjo on the way.

L

Lunar

I do have screen protectors on my iPad3 & the wifes iPad1. I should add that I used the iPad 1 for 18mths without a protector and the iPad3 for a few months, and the screens were still like new, that is...until my wife let the grandchildren use her iPad1 when they visited, and now it has 2 small scratches on the screen, not bad but they are visible especially on black screen. Their own iPads and Ipod touch's are also scratched so after that, for peace of mind I decided to fit screen protectors to both.

Having tried a couple so called antiglare protectors which were actually not cheap, and imo degraded the pic quality far too much to be acceptable, I now use the very thin Technet branded cheap crystal clear 6 in a pack one's. They are very difficult to put on without getting dust particles causing small bubbles which cannot be removed because its specs of dust thats causing it.
However, after much practice I have now got it down to a fine art, and can fit them without any dust at all and without even a single bubble, so it is possible to do, and once fitted one has to look really close to tell there is a screen protector fitted and any loss in pic quality is barely noticable, but AIS they can be a pig to fit.

Don't even bother trying in a normal room, as it will be almost impossible to fit without a few bubbles, the trick is to run a hot shower in your bathroom for a few mins, then let steam subside a little, NEVER turn the protector over, always keep the surface that goes onto your screen facing down, I would also suggest before you start that you place a length of tape attached to the edge of the backing, which will enable you to peel the backing away slowly when you fit it so that no part of your hand or arm is ever over the iPads screen. Normal air bubbles always come out easily, but just one spec of dust especially if not on the edge where it may not matter if covered by a case, means you have to start again, hence the reason they give you 6 in a pack...lol

I admit it can be a frustrating experience trying to fit them perfectly, but when fitted properly without any bubbles at all they do give you peace of mind especially when your grand children pop in..lol Anything fitted over the screen has got to reduce the quality to some minor degree thats commonsense, but the new easy fit type which guarantees no bubbles and only available in antiglare are IME terrible for pic degradation, they are much thicker and tend to have a black border on them which is there to hide the adhesive underneath, there is no adhesive or anything in the centre, it's just around the sides, so in theory you would think it should work better. Sadly thats not the case, they are way too thick and the antiglare effect really degrades the pic quality a lot.
I spent over £60 on those and ended up throwing them away.

My advice is to just be careful with your iPad and no protector is necessary at all, if there's a risk it may get marked then learn how to fit the very thin crystal clear ones as they do give the best result with minimum degradation and they are dirt cheap, expect to scrap a few at the first few attempts, but with patience and care it's possible to fit them perfectly everytime.

Most reactions

Latest posts